24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help for a friend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I am not going to join in the hostillities here thanks......

I can tell you from personal experience that this is Exactly! the same scenario I had when my lift pump died.... The truck was running absolutely fine before hand, no codes, power seemed normal etc.

I was leaving for a trip, decied I should change the fuel filter before I left and could not restart. Lift pump cycled normally and ran just fine... After going through my regular filter changing routine the truck would not restart.

When removing the filter test port plug on the top of the cannister (I use this same port to test the fuel pressure periodically with a temporay gauge, fuel pressure was normal at the last oil change, even at WOT)

No amount of priming or fiddling around would makethat sucker pump fuel!

Luckily I had a spare lift pump taken off a FL70 Freightliner...

Installed new pump.

Voila! Truck runs like always.

20 K later, no ill effects so far.

Might I add that I am also on my original VP?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He said he change the filter, not ran it out of fuel, so he didn't loose prime to the LP. He has no presure at the filter. why can't you see that his LP is dead. When he made his first post he asked for suggestions why it wouldn't start. That's why I said LP. I bet he's had this truck for awhile and he had changed the fitler before and knows what he was doing. SO my suggestion was the LP and I stand by it (right or wrong)
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM

Being a 99 with the plugs in the top of the filter canister he could probably pull a plug and fill the canister to the plug opening and get it to start. I had to fill mine like this to get the VP to pull fuel when my lift pump died. I started it and drove to the Cummins dealer and bought a new lift pump. I pulled my stock still working factory VP off at 154,000 miles and replaced it before I started adding boxes and injectors to the truck. It never died. I have 50,000 on the current lift pump but the truck has always had an airdog and bigger lines and fittings on it. It would be a good idea for him to at least get a mechanical guage for testing the pressure every now and then. It's really easy to do on the 99s.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I guess anyone STILL suggesting he replace the LP (even if just as a PM) is a as stupid as TORQUE seems to think I am?

You are too cool for the room I guess. I know I can't respond with as many of these: so I guess I just wait for the original poster to chime in.

We are all hundreds of miles away, put your money where your mouth is, I'll take anyone's money that is confident enough that this guy will end up with a fully operational LP and VP.

Keeping in mind the hundreds of people each year that stumble upon this site for no reason other than they have been running around without a clue how important decent fuel pressure is to a healthy fuel system.

The same in the forum should be some people getting all uptight and posting 50 emoticons.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

I'm 99% (I will always give you a 1% chance I could be wrong) sure that the lp is out. period end of story. Thats where i would start anyways. Then its a possibility that his vp is out. But it is also a possibility that the vp is still good. No one can tell one way or the other with out trying it first.

first thing is first. Get fuel through the filter to the vp. And to do that replace the Lp.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
...... And to do that replace the Lp.
How dare you?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM

So, does it run now????
Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

PJ because you have proved you are more of a newb than you lead people to believe you are, I will not keep trying to make you understand something that is obviously out of your grasp, so I will let the guy chime in once he's got it running.

As for the bad advice you gave him, that's what it is bad advice . As you can read from my posts, I told him how to PROPERLY DIAGNOSE the problem, BEFORE he takes YOUR advice , and goes to buy LP and IP, when it may very well not be needed in the first place.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
P.J
Banned

What ever you say fella. As I stated via PM to you, I never advised him to run out and buy a IP.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Banned

PJ, you must have sent your pm AFTER I sent my response in. I think it's time to drop it, and let the guy chime in with what he found from the advice given, IF we didn't all scare him off here by now.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUE
PJ, you must have sent your pm AFTER I sent my response in. I think it's time to drop it, and let the guy chime in with what he found from the advice given, IF we didn't all scare him off here by now.
Nope didn't scare me away...yet

Anyhow as mentioned this is my dear old neighbors truck purchased new in 99and with under 30,000 miles on it. Never had the fuel filter changed prior to this time...he did it without me by his side. I know Diesels can trouble if they loose their prime. All I've ever had to do to my Ford 7.3 is fill the filter w/clean fuel and off I went. I've done pretty much all his oil/coolant changes for him, known him all my life...good ol pal.
Due to bad weather and my work schedule I have not had the chance to get under the hood for him. (I will this weekend)!
He did take it upon himself to purchase a new LP (he said it was wired different then the OE LP) but I told him I wanted to test to see if fuel is reaching the old one first, then I wanted to force fuel to it and see if it would re prime the pump and push fuel to the VP.

Just a quick question...why would Cummins use a LP that won't self prime?

Great info from everyone...thanks a TON! And I hope to find out more this weekend.

PS. Im personally considering a new Dodge Cummins Mega myself. Been a Ford Diesel owner since the mid 80's but their new engine scares the crap outta me, with all the 60 issues. And I'm one that can re build a BBC in a heart beat.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerDown
Nope didn't scare me away...yet
Good to hear

With that being the original filter, that is an extreme timeframe without having troubles. Lift pump will weaken and could lose prime, especially when it has to try to force fuel through a plugged filter. Change the filter, put pump into continuous cycle AT LEAST a few times(even fill housing up to make it easier to pull fuel from tank), loosen outlet line or top plug to ensure fuel is coming through(and air out), and it is priming up(pressurize fuel tank VERY LIGHTLY if above doesn't work and retry).

Try to start now, this is where you MAY have to bleed injectors, to get any remaining air out, if it stalls out or won't start. Once running install a gauge on filter housing, to see lift pump pressure, if it is weak(less than 7psi approx.) replace it with one he bought, as it easily could be dead/weak now BECAUSE of filter being plugged. Let us know what happens.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered

They do prime their self, but some times weird things happen
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Banned

I don't think you lost prime, just a plugged filter.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torque did you miss your ANGER Management class this week.
It's obvious that the LP is either bad or weak. So in anycase replace it for piece of mind and cheaper than replacing the VP44.
I would just go ahead and do the LP relocation kit while the hoods up. But that's just me i like spending money on things i don't really need but gotta have.

Quick Reply: Need Help for a friend...