24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

low RPM power loss, no throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low RPM power loss, no throttle response

This is a new problem for me. My 2002 3500 manual 6 speed runs strong most of the time. The problem occurs when cruising at a RPM below 1500. Step on the throttle and nothing. Push in the clutch and rev the engine, then all of the torque and power returns. The same thing happens at lower gears and loads as well as driving along at 60 MPH. The truck is completely stock except the K&N air filter. The fuel pressure is running at 10-11 psi. I am wondering if the waste gate may be sticking. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
It sounds like what you're experiencing is "dead pedal". You can research that term and you'll probably find others explaining the same thing. There are two reasons for this issue. One being that the APPS is going bad. Resetting it can possibly help stop the problem. Or two, your VP injection pump computer is showing signs that its starting to short out from too many heat cycles and running too low of fuel pressures for too long. If you ever experience situations whereby you shut the engine off at places like the gas station or store, only to find that it doesn't want to re-start very easily, is another sign for the VP computer failing.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I added a fuel pressure gauge to monitor lift pump pressure when I first bought the truck. I also immediately changed the lift pump. It very rarely ever is below 10 PSI. I found and tried the apps reset by disconnecting the batteries with the ignition on. I have also cleaned the MAP sensor which I have learned can limit fuel flow. It will be a few days before getting out on the road and seeing if this helped. It has never been hard to start when warm.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Update what you find out. But.....also, the symptoms I described do not have to happen all at the same time, or all at all. And on another note, 10 psi is too low to begin with. If fuel pressures dropped below that psi then you may want to consider rethinking the fuel pump. The VP is ONLY cooled by fuel. The more fuel you push through it over 14-16 psi, the cooler it runs. Pressure below 14-16 psi means the VP is running hotter than desired. The computer on the VP uses lead free solder and that solder is affected by excessive heat.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Smile

Just returned from a 300 mile round trip. No problems this time. I have cleaned the MAP sensor, cleaned the K&N air filter, changed the fuel filter and connected an air hose to the boost charge controller to verify opening and closing smoothly. I have also reset the apps. Did spray a little blaster on the pivot point for the waste gate. The fuel filter looked clean, the air filter did not really look too bad. The fuel pressure gauge is connected to the schrader fitting on the VP44. It reads 12-14 psi at idol and usually 10 psi when cruising, 7 at WOT pulling a hill with a load. I also ran a quart of hotshot diesel extreme through it. I don't know exactly what solved the issue but for only a couple hours work and less than $20 I am happy. Filters and hotshot may become part of more frequent maintenance. I am now assuming that this is not a sign of a failure of a major component like a turbo or injector pump. 22.25 MPG on this trip, happy with the performance. Thanks for the advice.