24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

line pressure adjustment without VB ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
line pressure adjustment without VB ?

Is it possible to bring up line pressure without buying a valve body? If so, does anyone have a procedure. Also, what advantage is a upgraded VB besides pressure increase? thank you
Old 10-07-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
For pressure adjustment pics look here:
http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68

An upgraded VB has a lot more than just higher pressure to the clutches- it has less overlap on the 2-3 shift, quicker timing, tailored shift points etc. You should also consider that the seals in the tranny are not in love with higher pressures than stock.
If you just bump the line pressure you will also need a resistor or a voltage regulator for the gov. press. sensor excitation voltage line to avoid throwing codes and sending your tranny into limp mode.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 10-07-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds to me that what you are looking for is a shift kit. there are two shift kits out there that will fit the bill for us. they are the TRANSGO, and the SMR shift kits. the transgo uses a resistor to fool the governor pressure sensor, and the SMR uses a pressure regulator. The SMR kit sounds better in theory, but with the reduced pressure to the governor pressure sensor, you also get reduced pressure to one of the clutch packs. I think it is the OD piston. The transgo kit is known for being kind of a finicky adjustment due to the resistor. you can make either one run really well if you set it up right though. My vote is for the transgo kit. I am guessing that the reason that you don't want to go with a whole valve body is the price. the transgo kit can be had anywhere from 50.00 to 70.00 depending on where you find it. Get the TFOD-diesel transgo kit. If you need some help on how to set it up, PM me, and I will give you the scoop on how to build a BAD valve body out of your stocker.