24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector problem I am sure......

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injector problem I am sure......

A couple of days ago I got a new condition. Almost sounds like a bad exhaust valve on a gasser. Noise at light throttle, accompanied by a weak cylinder on pull off. Maybe... more smoke on pull. Seems to be ok at full throttle. I can hear it up front and in back. Engine just basically sounds crappy, not smooth at all. No excessive blowby. If a burned valve, it would seem that idle would be real bad, but it is not too bad, just not quality. Slight throttle shows the condition.

I have another set of RV275 injectors so will put them in tomorrow. Will also check the pushrods and valve adjustment. The injectors should have about 105k on them and were a little lumpy when I first started the engine 100k ago.

Also for the guru's, I have a set of brand new small injectors. Are the bodies the same? In other words would the 275 nozzles make them RV275 injectors?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Well darn hurricane.... I'm ready to change the injectors and it is raining heavy. No garage, have a load to pull before Monday morning....

Life sucks... then you die...

Just looked at the forcast and conditions, a real bad storm coming in hope everyone is ok....
Old 08-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Murphy strikes again.

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sorry to hear the truck is giving trouble again.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Well darn hurricane.... I'm ready to change the injectors and it is raining heavy. No garage, have a load to pull before Monday morning....

Life sucks... then you die...

Just looked at the forcast and conditions, a real bad storm coming in hope everyone is ok....
That doesn't sound like the H.I.D. I know. Take a long deep breath Bill, Deeper. DEEPER. That's it! What happened to the guy whose house got flooded while he had so many irons in the fire a year ago or so? Would it help if I brought you my truck?
Nat
Old 08-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Ok, but I am more concerned about the weather not cooperating than the truck. I have 100k on the engine and the injectors were a bit lumpy when I first started it, so am not surprised. About a month ago I was complaining of lowered fuel mileage so this is probably why. I just refuse to drive it this way, can't take the chance of burning a piston, and have loads backed up to be delivered by Monday morning.

This engine sat from 1998 till 2003 in a wharehouse, so that is probably why there is a fuel problem. I don't think it is too unusual for an injector problem in over 100k anyway. The original engine had one that would skip at idle in cold weather almost right from the start. I will know more in a couple of hours..... gettin cloudy again fast though.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Good luck HID, we're thinkin about you. If my garage was bigger (and closer), I'd sure let you use it.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:54 PM

I came in to take a break. I have the replacement injectors in, still have to put some bolts in the air box and the air horn etc. Almost done. Nothing looked out of line, all looked normal. I bagged the injectors by cylinder number and will get them flow tested at Cummins to see the real deal. Sure is nice haveing an extra engine for swap parts... See if the valve is burned, I have an extra head here to replace it. Don't think that will be the case though.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:12 AM

Got er done. Hooked up, now to Montgomery before morning. It is 100 percent smoother although not like I have seen it before. I still get the noise at idle pull off, but no higher rpm and not as loud. Gave me a scare though. Got it done, started it up, number four did not fire. Cracked the nut, made no difference, took 15 minutes for it to start firing. So I still have a weak injector, but now I know which one it is and may replace it after I get the old injectors checked.

There is less smoke, much smoother pulling no noises at road speeds. Guess the noise is what a non firing injector sounds like on the CTD. I think I hear it in the Scotty intake with the hole. That is why I am not familiar with the sound.

Anyway it is five to one am and I have to go to Midfield, Ala and pick up a load, locate the cars, load and get to Montgomery before am. I will be tired.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a place in Mississippi that will rebuild a set of injectors for ~$100...if you want, I can look up their info for you, Bill.

We've used them for years, very good work.

Just letting you know,
Chris