24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hx35 rebuild kit: yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hx35 rebuild kit: yay or nay?

Hey all,

Had a shop give the truck a once-over, and they discovered play in the bearings on my turbo.

Turns out HX35s are SPENDY!!

I'm sure you're all aware of the rebuild kit that's available for around $50 on ebay and the like. Lots of people here seem to have done it, but none of the threads indicate longevity of the fix and whether it's worth the work or more of a "you get what you pay for" situation.

Opinions on the kit? It replaces the bearings, no? Looks simple, like a few circlips and making sure you put everything back together in the order it came out? Reliable?

Thanks, all. Seems like every time I dig into the truck, something new pops up. 225k on this cummins, and it's been rode hard and put away wet for sure. by the time I catch up to the normal $10k asking price, I'll have a brand new truck!! - not complaining. I already love this truck, so a little more TLC is just gonna bond us further

Charlie
Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Some play in the bearings is normal on these. They actually have brass (?) bushings that ride on a flowing film of oil, no bearings, so there has to be some play.

If the wheel doesn't hit the compressor housing easily /doesn't have damage from doing that, and you aren't losing oil through it it's probably fine.

If you do decide to rebuild, it is pretty easy. Hardest part might be getting the turbo out of the truck if it hasn't been before.
Also if it does need a rebuild because the bushings are worn, it won't do any good if the cartridge is worn/damaged. Only way to tell is to disassemble.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM

so what you're saying is next time take it to a mechanic who knows half a thing or two about the engine?

Thanks

Charlie
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 AM

That is kind of a wide open statement. Your engine main bearings are sleeve and the crank runs on a film of oil. A little play is fine but if the wheel is rattling around that is bad. The mechanic is giving you his opinion of how bad it is.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Rick,
He admitted his lack of familiarity with cummins motors ahead of time, so i guess i was quick to jump to the conclusion he was wrong.

How much play is normal in there? It was noticeable but I would be hard pressed to put a number on it. stick a feeler gauge in there? Might rebuild it on a weekend anyway if i look at the turbo again and it doesn't look like it's fouling anywhere. Cheap, that fix.

Then again, if it is bad, I've got a stranded truck and still need to buy a $1300 turbo...

C
Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the turbo fan,hit the turbo housing?? If it doesn't then it's ok...It's normal for some side to side play...It's when the fan hits the house,indicates it's worn...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Dave's explanation about covers it but I think that is a little broad myself. You should feel a little movement up and down, not very much. No movement in and out. It is hard for me to tell someone what to look for even though I could feel it and say yes or no without thinking twice. I agree that the price is right but I have no experience with them.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 PM

All very good advice. I'll get in there again here in the next couple days and check for in and out play and look for fan fouling. Sure would like to save that $1400 purchase.

Anything to look for when pulling the thing out? I'm almost positive it's original and has probably never been out of the rig.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
tow years ago, I bought an hx35/40 hybrid cartridge with compressor housing, to mount to a stock exhaust housing. came from BC, was 600 bucks give or take, and about an hour to swap it in. Didn't even have to remove the old exhaust housing from the manifold.

Just food for thought
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM

The description does not support a turbo problem. save your money. don't fix that which is not broken. take that engery and do something constructive like change brake fluid and PS fluid. Detail the engine compartment or add a fuel pressure gauge.