24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to void your drivetrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:How to void your drivetrain warranty

Mr Billy, you are correct. 2003 has the AMM axle and comes with Mopar GL-5 Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-90, as stated in D-C Service manual page 0-4.
Rear Axle:
10 1/2" axle - 4.75 pints (2.375 quarts), 2.25 L
11 1/2" axle - 7.65 pints ( 3.825 quarts), 3.62 L
Front Axle:
9 1/4" axle - 4.75 pints (4.375 quarts), 2.25 L
Capacities from page 0-5 of service manual

Another hooker in this is auto tranny fluid for the 2003.

Mopar ATF +4, No capacity is given for the new 48RE .
The 47RE is not mentioned in the 2003 Service Manual, Nada.
Under Fluid Additives, "DaimlerChrysler strongly recommends against the addition of any fluids to the transmission, other than those automatic transmission fluids listed above (Mopar ATF+4). Exceptions to this policy are the use of special dyes in detecting fluid leaks" "Various 'special' additives and supplements . . . . these additives must not be used. . . ." ???

Old 12-30-2002, 04:04 PM

Bigfoot,<br><br>Seems you had better luck than me dealing with DC help line. If you check www.dodge.com and go to towing specs, you will see that it states that you MUST use sythentic lube for towing applications. They dont say anything about excessive towing or continuos towing. They just say towing. Maybe if enough people call and question this, we can all get free lube changes.<br><br>Tim
Old 12-30-2002, 07:41 PM

latitud_rt &amp;Bigfoot, <br><br>The &quot;Towing Guide&quot; at fttp://www.dodge.com applies to the 2003 Ram. I noticed both of you have 2002 Rams. You should not attempt to use 2003 guidlines with higher GVWR &amp; GCWR as well as American Axles compared to your Dana Axles. This is &quot;comparing apples to oranges&quot;.<br><br>The information found in this &quot;Towing Guide&quot; has some data that is not in agreement with data given in the 2003 Dodge Ram Truck Service Manual for 1500/2500/3500. <br><br>
Old 12-30-2002, 08:16 PM

Since I taught graduate school in Marketing for about 15 years, I'll give my $.02. I'm also an engineer with over 20 development and delivery experience. In the new Dodge Ram commercials, it shows a 3500 HD Cummins Powered Ram pulling an enclosed black trailer. There is something called an implied warranty that although not in writing, means that a company has represented their product is suited for the task represented not only by written literature, but pictures or demonstrations as well. There is no disclaimer in that commercial (the one with the three Rams running side by side, all black) that states anything about the truck doing the towing must have modifications prior to being used for towing. Therefore, the purchaser has the right to expect from that commercial alone that the truck is suitable for towing without having the change the differential lube. You can also point out to the dealer and DC that in the commercial where the Ram is launching the boat that no mention is made of having to alter the truck prior to towing. Belvedere 65 makes a good point.....no one at the dealer said anything about changing the lube when he told them he would be towing. It is not up to the consumer to try to determine whether or not the truck comes equiped to do a job such as towing. Don't these trucks come with a 10,000 hitch. Isn't the GVWR &gt; 20,000 pounds. The purchaser has the right to expect the freakin' truck is ready to tow when he drives it off the lot. What if it were a turbo not ready for towing? Or the injection pump needed to be changed before towing?
Old 12-30-2002, 08:42 PM

Not quite true Sierra Phil:<br><br>Below is the exact wording from that document. As you can see it mentions that if your truck is to be used for towing a trailer it MUST have syn. lube just as the 2003 comes with from the factory. I guess if you are not TOWING a trailer, such as a 10000lb car (without the trailer) you are ok. <br><br>Tow vehicles equipped with the Trailer Tow Group option should use synthetic axle lubricant, which is standard on all 2003 Ram Pickup Trucks.<br><br>For all trailer towing or heavy duty applications replace the factory fill rear axle lubricant with an SAE 75W-140 synthetic gear lubricant. Mopar Synthetic Gear Lubricant (MS-8985) is of this type. Perform the maintenance listed in Section 8 of this manual. When towing a trailer, never exceed the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR).<br><br>Caution:<br>When hauling cargo or towing a trailer, do not overload your vehicle or trailer. Overloading can cause a loss of control, poor performance or damage to brakes, axle, engine, transmission, steering, suspension, body structure or tires.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update here, today I had the rear axle lube oil changed by Cleburne Dodge. The cost was $187.45 Total cost.
Tomorrow I’ll write to DC and request the refund per the file reference # given to me on Friday.
Hopefully they will send me my money back. I’ll keep all informed.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:39 AM

&gt;i work at a &quot;******* ship&quot;, in this sue happy world you would be a fool not to recomend an oil that you know for a fact works the way it is supposed to. you just spent a lot of money to buy your truck, just for that reasaon alone i would spend a little extra to keep it up. it is unbeleavable how many people choose to put there butt on their sholders when they get told they did something wrong or they have to spend some money. i would say 2 out of 10 diesel trucks that i work on actualy get used to tow something or to do any kind of real work. if you don't like having to spend @ $140 on a rear diff service i have some bad news for you. if you tow often you need to do a rear service about 18,000 miles or you will smoke it.(regular or sythetic fluid.) I hope you understand my rant and rave over the typical &quot;******* ship&quot; mentality.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:57 AM

My point only is that if the factory spec. says you must use syn lube for towing, then why doesn't a truck rated at 13,000 lb towing capacity come with syn fluid from the factory?<br><br>Believe me, I will change to syn., but I will not spend $185 for the dealership to do it. Its just disappointing the attitude from Chrysler Customer service. My local dealership agrees.<br><br>Tim
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to amsoil tech reference, their: series 2000 gearlube 75w140 meets chrysler ms 8985. Can be viewed at , www.amsoil.com. I will start using this in my 01 2500 C T D as Inow tow a goose neck three horse trailer. In fact I will be using Amsoil all the way eng.&amp; tranny hope this helps
Old 01-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I have the latest on DC paying to change my differential oil to synthetic. DC called me today and they are processing the check today. <br>So if you have not already done so call and complain loudly until they give you a file # then you will need to have the ******* change the oil and send the receipt to DC. <br>
Old 01-28-2003, 10:05 PM

[quote author=hothead link=board=4;threadid=8240;start=30#86946 date=1041439149]<br> <br>if you don't like having to spend @ $140 on a rear diff service i have some bad news for you. if you tow often you need to do a rear service about 18,000 miles or you will smoke it<br>[/quote]<br><br>No big deal and no big cost. Go to your local Auto Zone and buy Mobil 1 75W90 and use a pump and &quot;SUCK&quot; out the factory dino lube and pour in the Mobil 1 75w90 or if you want 75w140. Keep your receipt and your warranty is covered. If I remember right it was 5 quarts plus some LSD stuff from DC cost me around $30.00 ;D I know some of you are going to say what about cleaning it out?? That is what the magnet is for. Plus if you don't tow there is no requirement to change the differential fluid period which lets you run dino lube forever. ???