24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP Vacuum pump removal!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP Vacuum pump removal!

I cant seem to get the 7/16 backing nut to release from the 9/16 oil feed line nut underneath the vacuum pump

trying to replace the steering pump. Too bad I cant just remove the steering pump. Looks like the upper nut in back is the bad boy you cant get to.

Totally frustrated, not a lot of room to work. Liquid wrench?

Need help

Thanks

Mike - Tucson

1999 2500 diesel
Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took mine off Wed and rebuilt it with new seals and I think it's a 10mm or so above the 7/16 that you have to hold or the 7/16 will just spin. When you get ready to put it back in, try to get a friend to hold it up from underneath while you start the bolts. I did it all myself and made up a few new cuss words but I finally got it back on. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM

power steering pump

Hey all .
looking for some info/pics of how to fix a leaking p steering pump looks like its leaking where it goes threw the housing on the engine ? (sorry not very versed on whats what) any info or pics would be great so I can figgure out if I can do IT my self ---2001 2500 die

Thanks REDZ
Old 09-02-2007, 06:21 PM

The vacuum pump is installed first then the power steering pump it usually the mounting gsk.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some very good instructions on how to remove the vacuum pump without removing the PSP. You can get the timing cover to vacuum pump gasket from Cummins or a large truck dealer ( like Kenworth, etc.) .

1. Remove four nuts securing Power Steering Pump (PSP) to Vacuum Pump (VP). Studs may back out of PSP. Just thread back in. Leave all PSP hoses connected. There is a spring aft of PSP on the injection pump that can get in the way. Disconnect and let hang. Do not separate PSP from VP yet.

2. Remove VP supply line and oil line at the bottom of VP. You may need to back up the fitting (7/16) at the bottom of the VP and then remove the oil line (9/16). You will get some oil drainage so be ready with a small pan.

3. Remove lower bolt attaching VP to gear case. Loosen but do not remove upper bolt completely as this will allow the whole assembly to hang down at an angle providing more room to separate the assy.

4. Gently separate PSP from VP taking care not to scar the sealing surface becoming visable attached to the PSP. Rest PSP on engine mount.

5. Remove upper bolt on VP and remove from vehicle.

6. Keep things clean. Remove two bolts and separate VP halves.

7. Set the PSP side (four legs) of VP face down on bench. Fit a deep socket (large as possible) through the hole in the center and drive the center section holding the seal from the outer housing.

8. Remove old seal and press in new. Clean all o-rings and lightly lube with grease including inside diameter of new seal and sealing surface on PSP.

9. Install center drive star and seal center section into housing. Assemble both havles of VP making sure there is no dirt inside the VP.

10. Install components in opposite order of removal. Clock drive fingers on PSP to VP to help in mating PSP to VP.