24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard morning start

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard morning start

I'm having a similar problem that some others are having.

I keep my truck in the garage and after not running it for 3 days, I decided to crank it up. Temperature outside was about 30. It fired briefly and then died. I cycled the FASS HPFP a couple of times and noticed the pressure wouldn't come up on my guage. I thought it was fuel gelling on me, since I have not been driving the truck much lately and it probably still has summer fuel in it. Anyway, I went to NAPA and got some Power Service 911 and put in it. I cycled the pump a few more times, the pressure came up and it finally started. Now, it's doing that every time it sits for a day. I drove the truck some this morning, but I knew to cycle the pump 3 times before starting it. It still hesitated when it started. I revved it as soon as it did and it stayed running. I'm thinking it's the colder weather, but it could be losing prime. Once I get it going, it starts instanly every time. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??????????
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM

first question: Did you remove your stock lift pump and filter set up? If your stock pump dies and you're trying to push fuel thru it, it won't happen, at least not very much.

Here's my solution to the problem, just so I could keep the filter canister and the water notifier sensor on it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=181485
Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cdennyb
first question: Did you remove your stock lift pump and filter set up? If your stock pump dies and you're trying to push fuel thru it, it won't happen, at least not very much.

Here's my solution to the problem, just so I could keep the filter canister and the water notifier sensor on it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=181485
I have the FASS HPFP, that's the FASS without the filter setup. This runs directly to the factory fuel filter. No stock pump. I may change the fuel filter today and see if that helps. I'm still getting 15 psi fuel pressure.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Fuel filter changed yesterday.... Started fine this morning.