24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Going with a FASS 95 System from Vulcan

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going with a FASS 95 System from Vulcan

Well after much thought and deliberation I decided to invest $664 into a FASS system from Vulcan. I figure that the extra filtration and supposed longevity of the pump should be a good choice. I never did like the idea of the OEM filter element being a filter and water separator as most big rigs have separate filters and water separators.

I'm just looking forward to having the piece of mind that when I'm towing up one of these steep hills around here that my fuel pressure won't drop down to 3 PSI, or when I decide to full throttle it for fun

I'm still trying to figure the best mounting location. The instruction sheets I found on www.FASSRIDE.com weren't giving me the best imagery for my 2001 Quad Cab Shortbed and recommended mounting to the cab mount. The two problems there is that the rearward cab mount is right above my e-brake adjustment and seems like it puts it to low which worries me about ye ole gravel strikes and such. Any suggestions yall?

Coaldigger
Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Coaldigger
Well after much thought and deliberation I decided to invest $664 into a FASS system from Vulcan. I figure that the extra filtration and supposed longevity of the pump should be a good choice. I never did like the idea of the OEM filter element being a filter and water separator as most big rigs have separate filters and water separators.

I'm just looking forward to having the piece of mind that when I'm towing up one of these steep hills around here that my fuel pressure won't drop down to 3 PSI, or when I decide to full throttle it for fun

I'm still trying to figure the best mounting location. The instruction sheets I found on www.FASSRIDE.com weren't giving me the best imagery for my 2001 Quad Cab Shortbed and recommended mounting to the cab mount. The two problems there is that the rearward cab mount is right above my e-brake adjustment and seems like it puts it to low which worries me about ye ole gravel strikes and such. Any suggestions yall?

Coaldigger

Well for the short bed trucks we like to see folks use the 95/95-1008 kits due to the smaller size of the unit. They fit up better on these applications. BUT with that being said, you can make the 150/95 fit.....its not fun due to the limted space, but it can be made to work just fine.

You will have the filters hanging just below the sheet metal on a short bed. If you do it right, they will still be above the bottom of the frame. You will need to use the cab gusset to put the frame bracket on. AND you might need to trim the frame bracket slightly to clear the fnt of the leaf spring. (I cant remember if this is a 3rd gen thing or 2nd gen....i have done so many they all jumble in my head!) Either way you make use of the first or second set of slots of the 3 sets. SO you can cut off the last set if you wish to make more room.

My biggest suggestion is to mock up the pump and hold it up and get your bearins and then just go at it. They will fit....its just very tight. Short of me catching a plane...that is the best i can do for you!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks much for the info DieselDan. It will be a huge help I went with the 95 because going any bigger would be overkill since I'm not looking for high performance. I should get it in next week so we'll see how it goes!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM

I have the 150/95 system. If you want some pictures send me a pm. Once you get the bracket and pump in your hands, and you're looking at the truck it aint too hard to figure how to make it happen.