24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel pressure and sensor question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure and sensor question.

I have a pressure sensor on a 2001 dodge that I just bought (just attached to an led light) but it's installed right where the pressure test valve used to be right by the injectors. Should it be installed off the filter housing like some of the other gauges say to install. I'm not sure if its working right or if my pump is going bad, but it's the 3rd pump (according to service records). Basically the led lights up when I'm on the gas and goes off when I let off. Any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
The location of the sensor? There is no test port by the injectors, do you mean on the injection pump where the fuel supply line enters the side of the vp44 injection pump?

My first question would be at what pressure is the light set to come on at 5psi, 10psi, .....

Possible problems bad sensor, perhaps bad overflow valve though those aren't that prone to failure but if original could be getting weak, failing lift pump. I went through 3 within a few years until I changed to something much more robust than the oem. Dodge did start doing retrofits on the oem pump from the side of the engine to an in tank pump. The in tank retrofits while they didn't provide great pressure they seemed to provide adequate pressure and seemed to live a longer life for sure,

Not ragging on your choice whatever works for you works for you but I personally am not a fan of the warning light unless there is gauge with it as you don't know what the pressure is just that the light is on but many did/do use them as it works for them.

As far as sensor location many have used the injection pump entry as a place to put their sensor but do be aware the vp44 does pulse a decent amount and sort of hammers the sensor and with a good enough gauge you can see it on the gauge so some felt the farther away from the pump the longer the sensor would last, even it is was just a long hose say to the wheel well or firewall from that location to the sensor.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Take a picture of what you have and where you mounted it... I believe all pressure warning lights are pre-set to 5psi, which is also way too low since anything below 10 psi for periods of time can cause damage. The best means of making sure the fuel pressure is OK is by using a fuel pressure gauge.

As for why the light is coming on, well thats because you're also likely still using the Carter lift pump which are notoriously common for loosing pressure over time and/or quitting. Find out what your truck has and any history about it because that information will drastically help with future questions, and this one.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Chilidog
I have a pressure sensor on a 2001 dodge that I just bought (just attached to an led light) but it's installed right where the pressure test valve used to be right by the injectors. Should it be installed off the filter housing like some of the other gauges say to install. I'm not sure if its working right or if my pump is going bad, but it's the 3rd pump (according to service records). Basically the led lights up when I'm on the gas and goes off when I let off. Any suggestions?
Hello Chilidog,

Interesting reading information below.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...tion-pump-r21/

As noted earlier your sender could be damaged Or reading incorrectly by the VP44 "Hammering effect" Google that phrase and read up on that.

You can also research
https://www.bluechipdiesel.com
I have no affiliation to them,
They have useful help info on there website
They helped me in troubleshooting my problem with out selling me a pump i did not need.

There is also a lot of information to the pro vs con of upgrading to other systems (FAST / In tank / Airdog to name a few),

Do your research on this subject before you do and upgrade. Use what works on Your application.
If you have a stock truck then I really don't think you need a $800 + lift pump just because other people have it.

Most of what I finally used to fix my problem was from other internet sources.
Do your own research and plenty of it !!!

A good fuel additive (lubricant) also has been said to help prevent failures. Google it.

Also if you have a aftermarket system installed (Diesel Tuner / Monitor) fully disconnect it to rule out that as a cause of your problems. (Not saying that is has anything to do with this post problem).

Hope this helps.
happy Mopar
Arron

Last edited by Arron Tate; 03-01-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: clarification