24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Pressure/Empty Bowl/Side of Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure/Empty Bowl/Side of Pipes

I have always found this sight a great source of information. Unfortunately I never seem to have enough time to read postings until I have an immediate problem. This years problem, NO FUEL PRESSURE. About 2 1/2 years ago I had the pump in the tank replace in responce to a problem with surging fuel pressure when the fuel tank fell below 1/4. At that time I read alot about LP on Dodges,... And deciding not to have my truck re-engineered=> okayed the shop I use to replace the stock pump. I thought I had escaped LP problems; No obvious issues for 24 to 30 month. I pulled into work today and the engine surged and then died and I could not get it restarted. I had fuel in the tank but when I tried to drain the fuel filter bowl, NO FUEL. I am no Einstien, but doesn't this sound classic for a failure of the LP? Could it be electrical, like a loose wire, to happen so suddenly? I am not enough of a mech. to repalce LP, but if is a LP problem what currently recommended to fix the problem. In tank, out of tank, large fuel lines,... If the truck is going to be in the shop, do it once, do it right. LP, I REALLY HATE REPEATING THE SAME FIX twice!!! Any input is helpful.

Side of PIPES: I have puzzle over changing the pipes as they age and everyone give me the impression that bigger is better. What I don't understand is how any change in my exhaust pipe diam. can have a great effect when the tubo charger is running off the exhaust pressure. With the TC being a narrow point in the exhaut it seems to me that larger pipes may either reduce TC preformance or do nothing. Could someone set me straight as to why larger pipe on a diesel are better. And what are the current recommendations out their. Thanks

TravelDVM@hotmail.com
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the exhaust....your larger pipe will decrease backpressure and allow exhaust gasses to leave easier. This allows the "breathing process" to occur easier for your engine and will be further complimented by a free-flowing intake.