24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

FASS Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FASS Fuel Pump Problems

I have a FASS fuel pump on a 2002 dodge ram 2500 4x4. I took it to Shelbyville Chrysler in
Shelbyville, KY to have a Draw Straw II kit put on the tank because I had a in the tank pump.
The straw was put in the 45 degree on the top of the tank. I know what the directions say, so I know that this is wrong. Now when I drive I cant go below ½ a tank or the pressure drops and the truck dies. Or drive down a hill under 3/4 tank or the same thing happens. Does any body know anywhere close to Louisville KY I can have this fixed. I am calling the dealer ship to see if this can be fixed but I’m not holding me breath. I cant drop the tank, I don’t have the tools...by the time I pay for this again I could have bought every thing to do the job my self...thanks to anyone that can help.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 AM

Dropping the tank is easy. It does not require any specialty tools. A simple socket set is all that is needed to do the job. When i dropped mine i disconnected the fuel lines then placed a 5 gal bucket under the tank and removed the straps and lowered the tank onto the bucket. Once the tank is on the bucket it was easier for me to lower one side of the tank down to the ground then the other. I even had 8 gals of fuel inside the tank.

I'm not sure what deal you made with your local dealer but if they didn't install the draw straw correctly they should fix it for you free.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 AM

I would definitely encourage you to take this on!

It's not a bad job at all, just be sure the tube is cut at the proper height and you should be good to go.

If the tube was "jambed" in, you may want to inspect it for any abrasions, kinks or leaks. But they seem to be pretty resilient.

Dave
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM

I've read lifting teh bed is easier than dropping the tank?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by get r done 911
I have a FASS fuel pump on a 2002 dodge ram 2500 4x4. I took it to Shelbyville Chrysler in
Shelbyville, KY to have a Draw Straw II kit put on the tank because I had a in the tank pump.
The straw was put in the 45 degree on the top of the tank. I know what the directions say, so I know that this is wrong. Now when I drive I cant go below ½ a tank or the pressure drops and the truck dies. Or drive down a hill under 3/4 tank or the same thing happens. Does any body know anywhere close to Louisville KY I can have this fixed. I am calling the dealer ship to see if this can be fixed but I’m not holding me breath. I cant drop the tank, I don’t have the tools...by the time I pay for this again I could have bought every thing to do the job my self...thanks to anyone that can help.
Sorry i got to this one late.

Here is your issue. The in-tank pumps use return fuel from the pump (Via a venturi) to pull fuel into the fuel cup on the sending unit. You disable the in-tank pump, you loose that life line of fuel and the fuel cup becomes a restriction. Its all fine and dandy when your fuel level is above the top of the cup, but once it goes below (1/2 tank or so)...the FASS moves more volume than can refresh into the module and runs it dry. After a bit, it refills and you can go for a tad while longer until the same song and dance happens again.

The fix:

1. Find a stock module to reinstall back into the truck. You can pluck on off eBay or at your local dealer if you talk nice to one of the techs in the back. They just toss them in the trash from what I understand.

2. Plumb the FASS return fuel into the module. If you put back what you are pulling out, you will not run out. I would try to put the return as low in the cup as pos to prevent excessive foaming.

3. Install a Draw Straw II or our suction tube kit (STK-1001) that goes into the tank outside of the cup.

I have really never seen anyone modify an in-tank pump sending unit with good success.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Dan,

he had a DS2 installed. Since this goes into the tank and outside the module, that should not be the issue.

Dave
Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Dan I would love to ask you some ?s... can you send me some contact info