24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fass fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air dog or fass fuel pump

i have a 1998.5 dodge diesel stock truck and im not sure what fuel pump to buy. also is there anyother kind of fuel pumps on the market ,how many miles between filter changes ,do you have to change fuel filter and water seperator ,also i have read some people leave the stock filter in is this recomeded .any information on fuel pump instalation and mantiance would be appecrated also i have a low preasure light insalled on the stock filter is there a way i can keep it after i change to the new pump or dose the new pump come with some kind of low preasure warning
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 AM

I would recommend a FASS pump. Its the #1 pump out there. It will come with everything you need for it except the sensor. It'd be wise to get a fual press gauge for sure. Your supposed to change filters about every 10 k i think. I do mine about every 7. Sometimes a bad batch of fuel can wipe one out even sooner. Also DO NOT use FRAM. Their filters fall apart and are pos's. There are plenty of dif filter brands on all diesel web sites. Water seperator you just drain it. No changing. it should say how in your owners manual.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 AM

Which fuel pump to buy depends on your needs as an owner.

But you have a few basic groups or types of pumps to work with.

You have the stock type replacement pumps, Carter, Airtex, ect. The FASS DDRP fits in here as well but sports a bigger pump and a longer warranty of 4 years.

Then you have the non bypass (no filter pumps). The FASS HPFP and Raptor. Lifetime warranty and you route into your stock fuel filter.

Followed by the full systems for FASS and the Airdog. These also have lifetime warranties and are a bit more money than the non bypass units.

So, decide on the end goal of the truck, decide if you want to use your stock fuel filter and what is your budget?

It's hard to go wrong with the big names in teh biz as they have the staying power to actually be around long enough to honor those warranties.

Dave