24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

exhaust gases

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust gases

Does anyone have an idea on why I may be getting exhaust smell in the cab of my p/u in cold weather. I recently had my manifold crack and replaced it with an ATS 3 pc. manifold so I have checked and re-checked for any leaks. The truck has about 167K miles and it seams that it is starting to have a "funny" smell when it is warming up. Everything about the truck sounds and works great so there are no obvious problems to look at. Is there any possiblity of a vacuum line or something to do with the heat intake that could be sucking in exhaust fumes? I know this sounds like a rediculous problem but I am tired of driving with my window down in the cold. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
Old 12-22-2004, 01:08 PM

Check to make sure the rubber weatherstrip at the top of the firewall in front of the plastic cowl is still in place.
About 8 to 10 inches of mine was coming off last year, and I was smelling fumes in the cab. I put some automotive Goop in the groove, stuck it back on, and no more fumes. Another thing I did at the same time was trash the breather tube/blow by bottle, and extended the hose down behind the front axle...no more oily crud on the radiator now.
Also if you go to "user cp" and then "edit profile" you can fill out your signature so anyone can tell what kind of truck and/or mods you have.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the tips I will take a close look at the weatherstrip right away and add a signature to my profile. I will check the blow by unit as well but I think a friend of mine already removed it. Where should it be? I doubt he added hose to extend it below the engine compartment and that sounds like a great idea. Thanks again and I will let you know what I find.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 AM

I have found that if you REALLY want to get rid of engine fumes, you have to take the wipers off then the plastic cowl cover. Once there, you will see the rubber cowl drain flaps hanging loosely about the drain holes. These flaps are actualy hidding behind the hood hinge plates. A lot of hot engine bay air trapped under the hood is blow into the iner fender space in front of the door VIA the hood hinge cavity. Since the drain flaps hang loose, The + pressure engine bay air is blow/sucked directly into the cowl venting. Just to prove this, with hood down and engine idleing, put your hand over the seam where the hood and fender come together in front of the door. You will feel quit a bit of air blowing out of the seams in this area. A perfect fix would be to devise a very light coil spring to fit between the flap and hinge plate keeping air out but light enough to let water drain out also. I simply RTV sealed the flaps shut except for about 1/4" gap at the bottom of the flap. I also RTVed the cowl cover over the opening from the bottom of the windsheild all the way around to the other side. I also added a bit more weather strip between the passenger hinge and cowl vent opening. This certainly seems to have solved 90 percent of the stink problem along with the oil vent bottle relocated to the trans. When the weather gets nice again , I'll redo the flaps with springs just to make sure I don't get a cab flud in a down pour!
Old 12-24-2004, 06:17 AM

I'm wondering if this is what I need to do as well.

I do get the occaisional exhaust smell in the cab during winter warmup but more strangely is the oily smell during warmer weather and only when it rains

Lots of posts for the oily smell shortly after oil changes but mine seems to be there only when the weather is wet and mild.

Any ideas??
Old 12-24-2004, 03:42 PM

I tried Moose10's suggestion with some really good results. The weatherstrip was still in place for the most part but I decided to go ahead and seal the groove with some RTV and the smell all but disappeared. I actually did take of the wipers and see the holes Walt L was talking about and I think I will put some thought into further sealing while still allowing drainage as I am still getting a small amount of smell especially at lower speeds. Thank you all so much for the help! I would like to hear if there are any other ideas out there. Thanks again, as I would still be looking aimlessly for the source of the smell!