24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

drop the tank or lift the bed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question drop the tank or lift the bed?

well i've been thinkin about doin it for 6 months, but satruday im replacin the fuel gague sending unit and puttin a campagin pump on the frame rail. so which would be easer takin the bed off (we have a backhoe) or droping the tank?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Are you going to be on your back or is the truck going to be on a lift??

After dropping my tank, I would rather do that than lift the bed.

Two band clamps, two hose clamps, and the sending unit. That is all there really is.
P.S. a large strap wrench will be your friend to remove the sending unit.
You can reach everything from between the bed and the frame..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM

I've been told by some drop the tank, others say the opposite.

I need to get to the top of my tank and have looked at the job laying under the truck for some time. To me, it looks like dropping a near empty tank would be the easiest.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 PM

If you have to raise the bed, loosen the passenger side bolts, remove the drivers side bolts and lift just the drivers side. This will make it easier to align later and there is really no reason to remove it completely. That is just more work than neccessary.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM

i would be on my back...well more like on a elbow the main advantage i see in takin the bed off is bein able to stand up or sit on the frame rail while im workin. right now im split 50/50.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Depends on if the glass is half full or half empty if you know what I mean. But dropping the tank is not that difficult. If the tank is closer to full run it out or pull the bed. Make sure and check the screener on the bottom of the sender unit for slime funk buildup. Been there done that last week.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:28 PM

I haven't removed the bed on the 01 Ram, but I had to replace the pump in the tank on my Dakota. I cut two 2x6 that would fit under the lip of the bed. Had one in from and one in rear. Removed the bolts thru the frame to the bed. Removed the screws, a clamp and dropped the fill tube. Had to removed something back where the spare tire lift is. Then I use the back-hoe to pick it up by using a chain around the lumber and over the hoe. I then inserted three 5 gal buckets in strategic positions and set the bed down. It was pretty simple. I got no dirt in my eyes. It took probably as long to remove the bed as to remove, clean around and insert the pump, and hook up everything.

It's all in your preferences!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After doing it both ways I would lift the bed if I had to do it again
Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM

I dropped the tank this summer on my girlfriend's 95. I considered removing the bed but the only thing I have to remove it would be me and 3 buddies at each corner and i dont even have a set of sawhorses to set it on.

The only benefit I can see to removing the bed is that you can do what you need to do, hook everything up, and run it to make sure there are no leaks and everything works properly before you put the bed on. There would be no double work having to drag that tank out of there again to redo it.

I dont care how much you siphon out or run it dry, 2 or 3 gallons sloshing side to side makes a big difference on a tank that is about 5 foot long. I did it on my own and I had kind of a rough time with it.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As said you dont need to lift it right off. Just undo the driver side 4 bolts and leave the pass side bolts in with one or two threads and tilt the bed up and hold it up with 2x4 or something (this is a two person job). One other thing I took off was a ground strap on the pass side just incase.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 PM

When i dropped the tank in my truck all i did was bolt a 2x10 (4 feet long) to the floor jack and dropping the tank was fairly easy. I took the strapps off and just lowered it enought to remove the electrical, fuel lines and the filler hose. I also used a ratchet strap to hold the tank to the jack.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Registered

Drop the tank, its much easier. Ive had to do this before....
Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM

well i think im gonna lift the bed...but i have to work in the mornin so it'll have to wait untill after noon. we have 9 cranes goin out in the mornin and they want at least one mechanic there just in case...

i'll tell yall how it goes.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM

Anybod got pictures of the parts that connect to the tank and what the top of the tank looks like where they connect. Reason I ask is I have a Aero Tank off a friends truck but have no idea if I have all I need to put it in place. Aero Tank isn't much help, calls to them get very little results.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:11 PM

If You Have A Engine Hoist Just Remove All The Bolts But The Back Two And Loosen Them Up As Far As Tou Can Then Bring The Engine Hoist In From Behind And Run A Chain Down To The Tie Downs Inthe Front Of The Bed And Then The Bed Will Just Tilt Back .i Have Done Mine This Way Several Times

Quick Reply: drop the tank or lift the bed?