24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Drivetrain losses

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Drivetrain losses

Phox..Don't want to go much higher, maybe 1/2-1&quot; more for tire clearence..Don't forget I live higher then you, 5700' any higher on the truck, I'll have to carry a pint of blood with me, because of the nose bleeds.. Hey, do you know of someone, perhaps Jack-it could retro, say 1&quot; more on current lift, so I could clear the tires better???<br><br>Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to them and asked them just that, and their answer was no.
Don't know if it was because it wasn't possible, or they just wanted to sell me something more expensive.
There is such thing as a 3inch lift, but not for the diesels.
(according to them)

I think longer control arms would be the best solution.
there seems to be plenty of clearance in front of the tires, just not in back.
Maybe 1 inch longer arms, the axle would be 1inch closer to the front along with the tires.

DT makes replacement control arms, to go with their 2inch leveling kit, you might look into that.
They are 1/2 inch longer than stock so might be enough.
(and they look so much better than the stock arms and better than the plain red skyjacker arms)

NBlack over on NWBombers had a thread on them, with pics around the first of May. (in drivetrain/suspension)

Just found a thread on TDR about them as well, includes links for ordering, and more pictures.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=73443

phox
Old 06-02-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaaaaaaaaaa..Ok, Gary I spoke to Lawrence today, 1 hr. on my cell phone.., :'( :'( and got Dynojet 101 schooling, and to top that off, Lawrence said to call him back on a land line for another 20 min.s, for 201 class. :-[ Since, I can't post all the information, I will try to &quot;condense&quot; your answer..The DynoJet, Dyno, and others..only measures rear wheel HP..It does not measure flywheel, because &quot;who cares&quot;..A chassie dyno, ( with engine on a stand) measures flywheel HP...Daaa, because there is not drive train., and this is what manufactures use. Where the drive line loss #'s come from is simply, the rear wheel HP in relation to the manufactures flywheel #. So, as one increases performance up-grades, the Dynojet can only measure the difference between the base ( rear wheel #) to the new #. There are basically, two different models of Dynojets, the light roller type, and the heavy duty type that Diesel Dynamics has..Either one is factory balanced, computer controlled with individual software for that particular dyno. The DynoJet is the dyno of choice, because unlike others ie, Mustang and load type, it is the most consistant, inertia (driven) and basically non tamperproof..While the load driven dyno's, weight of vehicle, and numerous other data must be entered specific to the test vehicle, in order to calibrate properly. If incorrect data is entered, wrong key pushed. &quot;tech&quot; error you will get bad data. ( this is why, you have to be careful when dynoing on these types, such as contest, Vendor testing, say before and after, because the information can go either which way at a push of a button, without you knowing.) Some of these dynos use oil (hydralics) which can heat up on multiple runs during engine loading and braking, and give false information. Another, is while drum braking (loading the engine) tire slippage is common and would result reduced HP levels, especially on HP Diesel trucks. At May Madness, Joe Donnely says &quot; same place, same time, same dyno&quot; and every year the Hype before, and the competitors expections sometime fall short. There are so many variables, wheel rim weight, tire weight, tire pressure, tire size, width, tread pattern, gear ratios etc. that can effect results, the DynoJet doesn't even take these into consideration, because it is inertia driven, with no load factors, simply, when you are in direct drive, (auto full lock-up) (manual 5th gear 1:1 ratio) at what ever speed you start at the &quot;go&quot; button, the Dyno calculates how long at what final speed the rollers were at the end of the run to calculate HP. Lawrence, like I said before has more experience dynoing on a Dynojet then anyone in the U.S. He even told me of a bike event, where guys peddled there bikes.

Phox..As far as tire size, like the other variables that can make a difference in the final HP #, Lawrence said it like this: If you had a 1700HP truck, vs. an identical 1700HP truck with larger tires, the difference would be measureable to about 20-25HP. However, same situtation, with two identical 400Hp trucks, say one running 285's vs 35's maybe 1/2 HP difference. So you can leave those larger tires on.

He also gave me some &quot;tips&quot;, when dynoing, to ever so slightly &quot;EEEK&quot; out a few more ponies with proper set-up. Don't even ask me, because even a 2-3HP advantage I will now use.

Any questions, students? I have more &quot;stuff&quot; on class #101, if the correct question is asked...If It is something that Lawrence didn't tell me, I will have to go to 20 mins. more...and this time it will costs you.. :'( :'( :'(

Steve