24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do I have a chance of getting the dealer to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have a chance of getting the dealer to fix it?

AAAAHHH! My trusty steed died today. Started in front of the house, drove 5 feet and engine stopped. Cranked but nothing. I figured it was the lift pump or the injector pump. Towed it to the dealer and $103 later he tells me its the lift pump. They want $1,100 for the new replacement in tank pump

Well here's my question. The VP44 was just replaced 5000 miles ago. The dealer said if it had been the VP44 they would warranty it since it had been less than a year since it was installed. Well it seems to me that the lift pump was probably what killed the VP44 5000 miles ago. Now even if I put in a new lift pump how do I know the VP44 wasn't damaged by the lift pump and will die prematurely?

This sucks since I have replaced the VP44 3 times already under warranty. But now I am past the 5 years so I'm stuck with the next replacement, if required. This is crazy since my truck has only 45000 miles and has always been perfectly maintained. Well bad luck I guess.

So should I argue with the dealer that they should replace the lift pump for free since they probably missed it as poorly performing 5000 miles ago when the replaced the VP44?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by C&C Milo
AAAAHHH! My trusty steed died today. Started in front of the house, drove 5 feet and engine stopped. Cranked but nothing. I figured it was the lift pump or the injector pump. Towed it to the dealer and $103 later he tells me its the lift pump. They want $1,100 for the new replacement in tank pump

Well here's my question. The VP44 was just replaced 5000 miles ago. The dealer said if it had been the VP44 they would warranty it since it had been less than a year since it was installed. Well it seems to me that the lift pump was probably what killed the VP44 5000 miles ago. Now even if I put in a new lift pump how do I know the VP44 wasn't damaged by the lift pump and will die prematurely?

This sucks since I have replaced the VP44 3 times already under warranty. But now I am past the 5 years so I'm stuck with the next replacement, if required. This is crazy since my truck has only 45000 miles and has always been perfectly maintained. Well bad luck I guess.

So should I argue with the dealer that they should replace the lift pump for free since they probably missed it as poorly performing 5000 miles ago when the replaced the VP44?
you are still under warranty http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warr...f/02RamWeb.pdf
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 AM

I purchased it in Feb 2002. I am past the 5 year time limit. Are you saying this is covered by the 7 year time limit? If so please explain so I can tell the dealer.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM

No, he's saying you're covered by the poorly written warranty agreement in your warranty handbook. It SPECIFICALLY states that the DC warranty of 3/36k does NOT start until your 5/100k warranty by Cummins ends.

It may be worth presenting the warranty manual to the dealer and explaining it to them. Although, if it were me I'd probably go after market on the lift pump and hope like hell the VP44 wasn't damaged.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
No, he's saying you're covered by the poorly written warranty agreement in your warranty handbook. It SPECIFICALLY states that the DC warranty of 3/36k does NOT start until your 5/100k warranty by Cummins ends.

It may be worth presenting the warranty manual to the dealer and explaining it to them. Although, if it were me I'd probably go after market on the lift pump and hope like hell the VP44 wasn't damaged.
sorry, but that's turned around... the 5 year, 100,000 doesn't start untill the 3/36 ends
Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM

I was close I haven't looked at that thing since this whole warranty discovery happened quite awhile back... Regardless, you have 8/136k total.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 AM

I purchased it in Feb 2002. I am past the 5 year time limit. Are you saying this is covered by the 7 year time limit? If so please explain so I can tell the dealer.
read page 12 in the link i provided
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Holy Cow! I never heard that before. I'm going to the dealer and show this too him. I'll let you know how he tries to weasel out of it.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM

Holy Cow! I never heard that before. I'm going to the dealer and show this too him. I'll let you know how he tries to weasel out of it.
Do lots and LOTS of searching first. Many people have tired, have had issues, and success. Read up on it all, as I'm sure whatever kind of fight they put up someone has ran across before on here..
Old 10-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your timeand effort is worth $50.00 an hour, don't bother. You'll be at $2000.00 dollars without a thing before you know it.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Well they did the usual backpedaling. They said that sentence is absolutely not true. The service manager literally said it doesn't matter whats written there because it is wrong. He also said the lift pump is not part of the Cummins warranty anyway, it's part of the 3/36 warranty. He said he would contact Dodge and see what he could do. I'm not expecting much. They did say they would take my truck as is as a trade in on a new one. Of course they know they can sell a truck with such low miles and like new condition for top dollar. I don't think i would buy from them with such poor customer service.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 PM

Just put a good aftermarket lift pump on it with a vulcan kit and be done with it.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Chapter President

If the dealer puts in an LP for you it will be that POS in the tank. You are better of doing the aftermarket and big line kit as suggested above. Now if it is the VP by all means take it back to the dealer. I had mine replaced at the dealer and was denied warranty coverage from dealer. Called Chrysler customer service and was refunded my money.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 PM

I did not see that you have a fuel pressure gauge. If not get one.
I would call Chrysler Corporate or zone/region customer service and go over your issues with them. Local dealers can be stupid or worse.
You might try calling some other dealers.
Amen to the Vulcan & other lift pump. Best upgrade money can buy, after the FP gauge. Keep a spare LP in the truck. witha Vulcan you can swap it out in 10 mins. max on the side of the road.
Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
some pics of the tank out & aftermarket kit (a GDP? - i forget)

if DC won't warranty it, there's no reason to put their junk back in there.
this guy is holding 30 PSI of fuel psi

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...sensor/MadHat/

Quick Reply: Do I have a chance of getting the dealer to fix it?