24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer tried telling me dead pedal was TPS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOdiesel80
I have heard that before. But has it actually worked for anyone. In my warranty book it does say that the 100,000 mile cummins warranty starts at the end of the 36,000 warranty, but I'm thinking it's a misprint or misunderstanding. When the dealer printed off my work order, he said that I only have 1400 miles left on my cummins warranty, which she's at 98,600 now. My wife is attending Law School, so if this turns sour I may seek legal action if I go over 100,000 miles thanks to the misprint. I'm sure they won't fix it under warranty just because of what it says in the warranty book.
It worked for me. I don't know about any others. Since you have a wife that's attending law school, why don't both of you read my post on "that other site". It's here.

I suspect that after reading the entire post you'll have a different take on whether there is a mistake in your Warranty Information booklet. It sure looks intentional to me.

-Thomas
Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Daysel, if you would read the prior posts here are the facts:

1.I took my truck in with codes 0216 and 1693, checked 5 minutes prior, of which the next day I forked out $87 for a "Diagnostic" they tell me I have no codes.

2. The guy who drove my took my truck on a test drive told me that this is a problem that he has seen and that it WAS, not could be, WAS the Throttle Position Sensor.

3. I would do the work myself, but the truck is still under warranty. DC should have recalled all 24V trucks because of their weak fueling design, instead they want to short change honest tax paying citizens like me.

4. I'm sure there are reputable dealers and great diesel mechanics that work for many dealerships, but I have yet to find one in 3 different states(active military), so excuse me if I'm a little skeptical about dodge dealerships.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....by chance did you remove your "superchips" program and restore the stock data?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 PM

Yes, I removed that program a long time ago, and should probably sell the thing. I take it in tomorrrow again (3rd time), I've spent many hours this weekend trying to "make" the VP44 fail. The dealer told me that 0216 code wasn't good enough and that it had to give a dead pedal while he test drove it for them to replace the VP44. Well about 3 hours of messing around later I found that 3200rpm in 5th(not 6th), makes mine fail like a champ every time.
I don't wan't any excuses from the dealer after tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:19 PM

...just curious on the program. I have customers that extract there SC program and it wipes out the data along with any DTC's. I've also found that "buzzing" the engine will often bring out the p0216 out if it's going to set. Basically even back in the dark ages when you had to call in to get "approval" to replace a VP, if you cleared the code, and it reset on a test drive they would authorize replacement even if there were no other "drivability" concerns. Fortunately techs don't have to play that song and dance anymore. We stock both pumps and I'm not afraid to make that money. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 AM

Have your dealer call Cummins and tell them you have an 0216 code. I will almost bet that they will be told to replace the IP and the LP. They would much rather do that than replace an engine or try to replace human body parts if you mention the fact that the little "dead pedal" you are referrring to could become their big liability when it dies on the highway and you bang somebody or something. That is exactly what I told my dealer when they suggested my truck was running just fine when I took it in with an 0216 code and they tried to give me the run around. I would suggest you press onward or take it you know where when the warranty runs out.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:48 PM

musta traded the truck off for a set of Nike's.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 AM

No, they replaced the VP44 finally after much cooercing. Service advisor made a final judgement after we were literally inches from being rearended by a semi when the VP44 was cutting out and giving me a dead pedal. I also had the show the service manager the 0216 code on the dash, with the 3 key turns, because he didn't believe me that the tech erased the original 0216 code. At this point I'm just glad to have a new VP44. Another thing that bothers me is that they didn't re[place the fuel pump when they replaced the VP44. I was under the impression that the pump had to be replaced when the VP44 was, especially since I can get it to 7PSI at WOT. I guess I'll be putting in a holley pusher very soon. JBODY, I'm putting a post in the performance section and would like your opinion on some injectors/nozzles.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 AM

...not always on the lift pump. My VP gave up the ghost at 85k and my original lift pump is still going strong at 104K (in cab gauge 10-12 most of the time crusing, 5-6 @ wot which I feel is just fine). And by all means, call, or stop in and TELL them how great your truck is running. Maybe it will help them help others.......maybe.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by J BODY
....by chance did you remove your "superchips" program and restore the stock data?
Just to interject here fellas -

My truck had dead pedal and the P0216 code almost a year ago - BUT, only when the SC programming was installed, and only then when towing in hot weather. I was using the "Tow Safe" program, and the truck was (at that time) otherwise stock. I pulled out the SC programming, and took it in to the dealer complaining of dead pedal and P0216 code using the key method. Guess what? Dealer said no P0216 code present.

What I learned was when you reprogram back to stock, the SC tuner erases all the codes in the process. So, even though I had dead pedal while towing using SC, I had no dead pedal without the SC, even while towing in hot weather. Since I didn't have a P0216 code, and no more dead pedal, I didn't get a new VP44. They tested it and said "could not reproduce the problem". I tried to reproduce the problem after that thinking I could then get a new VP44 as I suspected it was weak. When I had no SC tuning installed, I couldn't get dead pedal or codes, even when towing in hot weather. I finally decided that the SuperChips programming was to blame.

I ditched the SC tuner and went with an Edge EZ. No more problems. I also think SC has an inferior product, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Oh, and their customer service sucks too. My VP44 is still running just fine, haven't had dead pedal since removing the SuperChips programming about a year ago, and I've done plenty of towing in hot weather since then.