24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Crankshaft position sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft position sensor code

For about the last 3 months I've been getting the crankposition code. The first time it happened on start up. I was worried so I went and got a new one thinking I would install it as soon as possible. I've already replaced it 3 times. As luck would have it once was in the rain in the parking lot and the other 2 times I was in the shop doing other things on the truck.

So anyway I had a new sensor but I really needed the truck so I decided to chance it and drove it. By the end of the day I had started and stopped a number of times and finally the check engine light went out. i checked the codes and it was gone!!

I was ok with that but then a few days later it came on while I was driving. and again it went out by the end of the day.

It happened again but this time I noted I was in a hurry and didn't wait for the "wait to start" light to go out. the truck started fine and ran fine. And again by the end of the day it went out again.

Then I was driving down the road and the truck bucked hard and the check engine light came on again. I stopped and scanned the codes and sure enough the crankposition sensor code was there. I cleared this one as I was going to change it anyway but things happened and I was not able to do the switch.

I had it come on again and I found that after 6 starts it goes out. So it appears that if there is at least 6 clean starts the code goes away.

I still have not had time to do the change but what do you all think, should I just leave it untill I get stranded or should I go ahead and change it out.???

The truck runs great, I'm getting 20+ mpg all the time, it doesn't burn oil and just is a joy to drive.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 AM

If it was me, the first things I'd do before spending the effort to swap out the sensor is...
1- take a small wire brush or fine sand paper and just polish the tips of the teeth on the tone ring, easy to do when the truck is idling, just be cautious.
2- clean all the wires and connectors attaching said sensor.
I've had mine randomly throw CPS codes and that did the trick for me. While you're under there working on that, do the cam position sensor wiring too. just insurance, since the CPS is giving you a few issues right now.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the input.

The CEL came on again tonight on the way home. I think I'll be able to get in the hotrod shop Friday afternoon after they leave and work on the truck without the peanut gallery..

I don't know if I can get at the wires without pulling the starter but that isn't too hard to do if I can jack the truck up a few inches. I've done it 4 times already. I'm not sure where the CPS wires go but I sure can clean the sensor ends. The tone ring is inside the motor so I can't really do anything about that. None of the previous sensors had any marks the "business end" so I think it is ok there. The sensors just fail. I should have replaced the CPS when I did the starter last winter but I just forgot it.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cdennyb
If it was me, the first things I'd do before spending the effort to swap out the sensor is...
1- take a small wire brush or fine sand paper and just polish the tips of the teeth on the tone ring, easy to do when the truck is idling, just be cautious.
Um, sorry Denny, but the crankshaft tone ring on a 2nd gen 24valve is inside the engine block. Not external like a 3rd gen.

Bentwing, I would just change it. I used to have a Y2K 24v that went through crank sensors every 50k like clockwork. And get it done on a dry day so you're not left stranded on a rainy day doing it.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM

I agree with Mike R. change now. if it is like an 01 and you have to pull starter change starter contacts. for 29.00 from Larry B it's cheap insurance.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 AM

Project for the weekend I guess. I do agree that it is probably a maintanence item like changing oil. I've alreadys done 4 starters. I have a set of the heavy duty contacts. I haven't installed them as I have a lifetime starter from AZ that I keep winning. The starter issue has left me stranded everytime in bad weather and inopertune times. I should just install a CPS with each starter.

The CEL came on again last night and stayed on all day today. Today on the the way home I stopped for a coffee and it went out on startup. It was again 6 starts untill it went out.

Hope I can make it untill Sat morning. haha The race car guys will be gone for the weekend and I'll have the shop to myself.

It's nice to be able to ask a question about these trucks and it has happened to someone else and there is a solution.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Which sensors are you buying? From the auto parts store, or from cummins? I went through two sensors back to back from the auto part store , went and grabbed one from a cummins dealer, and no problems .
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM

I've been getting them at the LAPS but the next one I'll get from Cummins.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:15 AM

I'm trying to help my Dad out with his 2000 3500. He has had to replace the CPS 2 times in the past 2 years, and it is going out again. He bought both parts from local auto parts store. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it common to have to change it out every year? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Yeah, I was doing that just so I didn't have to do it in the winter. I do have one purchased from Cummins that seems ok. I'm going to gamble this year.

I've not seen one damaged but they just seem to quit. Once in a while I was getting a CEL with the code for CPS. If you get that lucky it's time for a change.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm on my 3rd right now. Both replacements came from Geno's so I know they were as good a part as you can get.
I think they just go because they are buried in a hot area with a ton of vibration. What I do is as soon as I see the first code I'll order the new part then I wait until either a couple of no starts or time when I can get under the truck for an hour or two. It's not that it takes that long for just the CPS but if I'm under there I look for new rust, leaks, loose stuff and anything else that might need attention.