24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Part Number Superceded??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor Part Number Superceded??

Gents,<br><br>I went and ordered a new CKP from my local Freigh-shaker shop and they said that the number I had (4002066, thanks drecu ) had been superceded with this number 3408430. I had to wait 2 days for the part to come in from Cummins in Dallas and when it did I was a bit perplexed... I different in many ways from the one I was expecting here:<br>http://www.dodge-diesel.org/articles...new_sensor.jpg<br><br>But instead it looks like the attached pic... <br><br>Somthing you can't tell from my poor photo is that the end of mine, from the o-ring down, is threaded, which Cattle Haulers is deffinatly not. Same od size but threaded. Another thing, hte location and relation of the plug, CH's is perpendicular to the body of the sensor and mine's parallel. Also The flat spot on the end of the sensor is in a different location relative to the angle of the bolt hole. Also, where's my new metal bracket? Recycle from old sensor or what?<br><br>Well, what do ya'll think? Go back to the parts house and see if they can get me the old part number? Also take a pic of Cattle Hauler's for refrence? <br><br>Ideas guys?<br><br>TIA as always,
Old 03-31-2003, 07:04 AM

Re:Crankshaft Position Sensor Part Number Superceded??

Thats a Cam or Engine position sensor that would be located in the gear case behind the cam gear.
Definitely not a Crank pos sensor.

Looks like the Cam pos sensor for 2001 and 2002 model year engines.
The 98.5-2000 have a Cam sensor but it different, also the rear of the Cam gears are different.
If I remember all the right (someone correct me if im wrong).

--Justin
Old 03-31-2003, 10:48 AM

I am not exactly sure what year the split was that used a different Cam Position Sensor, but I know that there is two different ones. The one in the picture above is like the one that I replaced in my 2001. I had a friend replace his in a 2000 model year truck, and it was more short and stubby compared the one posted above.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>Bill<br><br>
Old 03-31-2003, 06:44 PM

Well Gents,<br><br>The situation 'seems' to be resolved... to make a long story short: I got there and was like I don't think this is the right one (with printed out pic of CH's ckp). He run my serial number again and says well thats the part it calls for... I ask, does it say 'cam' or 'crankshaft' position sensor? He replies, it only says sensor, position... Do you have a pic of the engine? He prints one out (attached) and points to the pic, there is where the starter goes and there is the sensor... He's pointing the the timing cover where the injection pump goes and the cam sensor... he's got he pic flipped in his head there I guess, I point, &quot;nope there is where the starter goes and there is the sensor I need&quot;... pointing at what exactly looks like Cattle Haulers CKP pic... Oh he says, it will be here tomorrow... He was bass-ackwards on the pic.. oh well. We will have to see what comes in, but he did order a part number 4002066... No one was really at fault here, the computer wasn't explicit enough... They deal mostly with the BIG Cummins and not much with our little Cummins.... <br><br>All is well for now, Thanks again Guys!! ;D