24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cracked Block #53

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:57 AM
xmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Block #53

I guess I should have known better than to buy a used truck from a guy that was unemployed, but i did. It showed no signs of leaking at first but I noticed that the antifreeze was weak so I flushed the cooling system and after that it started needing coolant. It showed no signs of a leak but after reading on this forum about the 53 block and since it was a'99 I put it up on ramps and watched the passengerside of the engine and as it warmed up it started leaking coolant. Does anyone know of a good place to get this repaired in Central Arkansas?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
How many miles on the truck?
It might still be covered.

Member Stamey managed to have Dodge/Cummins cover much of his expen$e$ for a replacement after his block failed.

See his threads here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=53%2A+block

and here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=37407
Old 11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
xmr

I have only owned the truck for about 2 weeks and it has 177,000 miles. It is in great shape other than the cracked block. It runs great and on the last two fillups got 21.7 mpg and 20.8 mpg. I added a fuel pressure gauge and it shows 14 at idle and 9 at wot. I doubt that cummins would cover and the closest Cummins dealer is 244 miles away in Tulsa, OK. There is not one dealer in Arkansas who would have thought.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:22 PM

ANOTHER ONE !!

Sorry to hear it.

Have you checked to see if its a #53?? There is some excellent info here:

http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins...NewInformation

Good Luck fixing it....
Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 PM

There is a Cummins dealer on the north side of I-30 here in Little Rock. I buy my filters there. I don't know if they would do this, but some people have had machine shops use a product called Lock-n-stitch with good results so far. You can read about how it works here. www.locknstitch.com Guys on TDR have posted alot about this repair and apparently there is even a kit for this engine from Lock-n-Stitch.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Cummins supposely will assist in block replacement if it has 150,000 miles or less and if you are the first or second owner of the vehicle and the work is done at a qualified cummins repair center. Now there are several people that have had the lockin stitch done to there cracked blocks for less than $1000. You can go to the lockin stitch web page and contact them and they can get you in touch with someone close to your area. The web sight explains how the procedure works. Good luck with your repair.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:42 PM
xmr

I read all of Mr. Stamey's info on the 53 block. I wish I had found that into before I bought this truck. That is how I was able to find the big 53 on the drivers side of the block and then locate the crack on the passenger side of the block. I think that the Cummins dealer in Little Rock must have closed they are not listed in the new phone book but were in last years. I have emailed Locknstich to see if they have some one in this area that can repair my truck. What a way to ruin a perfectly beautiful Sunday.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
xmr

Lock-n-stich does not have anyone in my area to do the repair. I have contacted numerous repair shops and Auto machine shops with out success.
One machinist recomended grinding the area around the crack and sealing with "Marine Tech" has any one heard of this and do you think it might work? My other options are getting a motor from a wreck for about $3000 or getting a block from Cummins for about $6000.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:54 PM

I had some work done a few years back at

Cummins Mid South
6600 Interstate 30
Little Rock, AR
Phone: (501) 569-5600
FAX: (501) 565-2199

The young man that worked on my truck did an outstanding job...

or do something like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Do...WDVWQQtcZphoto

If you look close..you can still see the swirl marks on the cylinder walls

Rick
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
xmr

Thanks rharveysr I have talked to the people at the Cummins place that you mentioned and they were the source for the $6000 to replace the block. The block on ebay is interesting but it might be a "53" block I could not tell by looking at the pictures. Boy when I get my self in a mess it is a doozy.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:46 PM

I have talked to the guy in Hartman Arkansas before about parts and he seemed pretty cool about things.
This old boy is not too far from you. The map shows that its just south west of Clarksville off of I40 on highway 64
Rick
Old 11-08-2005, 05:00 PM

That gut has a 24 valve block, from a 99 I believe, on E-bay right now. About 1 day left on the auction. He may can get a used short block if needed, I have never talked to him.

nevermind, I just saw your last post.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:33 PM
xmr

I sent a message to the guy in Hartman to see what casting number is on the block. If it is not a 53 I have a truck that goes near there twice a week and I would not have to pay freight.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 PM

I have bought from the guy in Hartman before. They are about 6 miles off I40 Going from Little Rock take I40 to exit 55, then left 4 miles, right on a county road about 1 1/2 miles.

If I remember right try Yahoo yellow pages for Redline Auto Salvage in Hartman AR. You will not find there phone numer in the phone book. They are trying to go the internet sales only. But have no problem with you picking up parts you have bought off the internet from them.

Good luck fixing your truck,
Rodney
Old 11-08-2005, 10:35 PM
RCW

If you are skilled at basic welding, take a look at a post I did way back when on how to weld these 53's. That makes them better than new.

Since then, I have found a marine epoxy that also does a darn good job of stopping the leaking. It can be had from most commercial marine shops, and works even if the area is wet. Although, the best solution is to dry and sand the cracked area.

If you really are looking for an engine, let me know. There is a firm out in Oregon that offers a completely rebuilt 24 valve with warranty for under $3,000.

Quick Reply: Cracked Block #53