24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Back In The Saddle Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Back In The Saddle Again!!!

He's BAAAAAAAAaaaack!!!

Moderators: this must be the correct forum because it relates to my cracked block.

TORQUIN's on the road again.

Got a new block and running strong. It is like a different truck
though. More on that later.

The whole story:
Took the truck in to the Dodge dealer and they "checked" it out. They said that the block was cracked (DUH). The also said that the Dodge regional factory rep had to look at it because it was such an expensive a job. The Chrysler rep looked at it and literally picked it apart. He had problems with the fuel pressure, EGT, and boost gauges. He had problems with the wiring for the Tru-Speed box that corrects my speedo with those 305/70's on there. He had problems with the Emjay tranny controller, and the double-deep tranny pan. They said my VP44 was too new. I'm sorry, I didn't know it was against the warranty to keep my engine as clean as new (John P won't like hearing this). In the end, warranty REJECTED.
The Dodge dealer and the Dodge rep swore they had NEVER seen a Cummins block crack. They were liars. I know this because when I spoke to the Cummins dealer he told me that he was doing a cracked block for them at that time. It seems this dealer farms out the big Cummins work to the Cummins dealer. The dealer said they'd be happy to do the repair job, putting a long block in (short blocks were in short supply at the time). It would only cost me about 15,000.00 (yeah, fifteen THOUSAND dollars) I also found out from the Cummins dealer that he'd do the entire job, replacing only the block, for about 7,000.00 (seven thousand). Still If you think about it, the dealer was going to make over 100% markup on my block job. If that ain't a "*******", I don't know what is.
So I fell back on my other warranty, the aftermarket warranty I got with the truck. I took the truck to my local Cummins dealer. When I dropped the truck off he had 3 other ISB block jobs, one in a tow-truck, one in a school bus, and another in a utility truck. If you ever need any work done on a Cummins in Central Virginia, let me know and I'll tell you who to talk to at Mid-Atlantic Cummins. The service writer there did everything he could for me. He earned his tip. He pulled it down and messed around with the idiots at the warranty company for a month, then the warranty company sent out THEIR insurance company to take a look at it. It seems if the repair costs are going to be more than a certain
amount, they have an insurance company that pays for it. Silly me, I thought the warranty company WAS an insurance company. Anyway, they came out and looked at it, and proceeded to pick at the truck. They picked at my oversize tires (305-70's), and then said I have a 6 inch lift on the truck. I told him he was flat-out WRONG. My suspension is STOCK, except for the leveling kit on the front. Didn't matter though, they still went and fell back on the "fine print" in their warranty contract that says they will not cover an engine block unless the damage was caused by an internally lubricated part (thrown rod, KDP, etc). DANG!!

The Cummins dealer said the final cost would be about 5,300.00 if I had to pay it outright. After I heard that, last Thursday, I had to go the only other route I knew, calling Cummins. I called 800-diesels this Monday morning and talked to a guy there, who then got on somebody at Chrysler. Chrysler called the service guy at Cummins, where my truck was, and the service guy fought with
them over the warranty, and the fact that an EGT and/or fuel pressure gauge is NOT going to cause the block to crack. They only wanted to pay half the cost and he got them to pay all parts and 3/4 of the labor. I got out of there today for 392.00, plus a 100.00 tip for the service guy. Like I said, he EARNED it!

What I got:
I got the latest design block, called "Storm", which the service guy said he has never seen fail. The block makes the engine quieter, if you can believe that. My missing muffler is now louder than the engine, when standing at the front of the vehicle. The engine used to win out when you were at the front of the truck.
They dynoed it to break it in before I picked it up. He was wary of the tranny (I told him he didn't need to be) so he didn't push it too hard on there. He said he got 165 RWHP out of it with some "tweaking". (He said this is higher than it should be)
I does annoy me that they painted EVERYTHING on the engine black. I liked the fuel filter being the original coloer, as well as other parts. You know what I mean. Now EVERYTHING's black.

What I learned:
The 800-diesel rep told me that Dodge buys the engines from Cummins with no warranty, and Dodge is supposed to honor the 5/100K warranty.
At least one dealer and Dodge rep will lie to you about a well known problem to get out of covering the warranty.

I'm probably leaving out some stuff, but I think I said it all.

I STILL LOVE MY TRUCK, even after all the crap I have been through with this block.

Now, who's got twins for sale?

Chris
Old 01-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not too bad.
You shouldn't have had to jump through all those hoops to get it covered though.

Yup, you lose the great Cummins warranty since Dodge waived that warranty and supplies their own.
I thought Cummins stipulated that Dodge had to at least equal their warranty, which they kindof did, with a little fine print wrangling.

Glad it worked out eventually.

phox
Old 01-15-2004, 10:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, glad everything worked out. We got lots of work ahead of us,huh? Give me a call this weekend. Tim
Old 01-15-2004, 10:22 PM

I think if I got my cracked block replaced for $500 I wouldnt complain about a black fuel filter... Just kidding....congratulations a great ending....Im crossing my fingers for my #53....
Old 01-15-2004, 10:52 PM

Since I just bought mine, you got me worried to death.... had to go crawl under my '01 take a look. To my relief, I found a big "55" cast into the block.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:51 AM

Where is the stamp cast into the block? With my 1999 I am not sure what block I have. It's an early build - took it off of the lot in February of 1999, and I am also concerned about having a KDP in there as well.

Thanks for any info!

Matt
Old 01-16-2004, 06:08 PM

**** stamey....i am glad i read that long post...it was WELL worth it and congrats!@! now get on the board and CHAT and talk to the fellas

just picked up a 99 by the way!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:05 AM

Glad you got it all straightened out Stamey.

Hope you have many miles of trouble free driving ahead of you.

Jason
Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking I'm Jealous

I'm Jealous

My story is not as good as yours,( I wont bore you), And I'm still driving my leaking #53 Block, Half a gallon of antifreeze every 2 days...,
I have been trying to contact a member on the site for a week now with an engine for sale AND it's not a #53,,But he has not got back to me yet ,,THE search goes on,,

At Least you got it replaced,,, Congrats
Old 01-09-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome back chris
Old 01-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Back In The Saddle Again!!!

Seem's like you come out real good on this one. Good Luck
Old 01-09-2006, 08:05 PM

Holy smokes! Some ojne dug real hard to find this thread. This was a few sets of injectors and several turbos, trannies, and an Edge EZ ago.
Truck still doing well. Have almost broken the 600 hp, and 12 second barriers, and bought a 12v (96). Happy as heck with both my trucks, as my sig probably hints.

Truckman, look into Lok N Stitch. See my web site for more info:
http://www.Stamey.Info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Chris
Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

I was starting to say, I don't remember seeing a recent thread where your stuff was broke. Glad to hear that the new engine is still working for ya though.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Done Already

Originally Posted by Stamey
Holy smokes! Some ojne dug real hard to find this thread. This was a few sets of injectors and several turbos, trannies, and an Edge EZ ago.
Truck still doing well. Have almost broken the 600 hp, and 12 second barriers, and bought a 12v (96). Happy as heck with both my trucks, as my sig probably hints.

Truckman, look into Lok N Stitch. See my web site for more info:
http://www.Stamey.Info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Chris

Yes Stamey already did Lok N Stitch, and it is seaping still, have to put half a Gallon of antifreeze in every other day I am glad you are happy with Both your trucks,,, If I could be happy with just one it would be great
Maybe an engine will come my way soon. Found one on this website BUT the person has not answered my 5 private messages yet. I now buy antifreeze by the case.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 PM

Who did the repair job? Won't they stand behind it? Since you don't really have much to lose at this point, try some epoxy. I have heard of people doing this with good results.
You looking for a block, short block, long block? I'll be glad to keep an eye out for you.

Chris

Quick Reply: Back In The Saddle Again!!!