24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch Throwout Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Throwout Bearing

Hey all, last fall my clutch finally gave out at 150K Had a shop install a new clutch and throwout bearing. I now have right around 180K on the truck. Now with the new clutch shifting is "less" than smooth. Sometimes sitting at idle I will have to stick 2nd gear before I can get it to go into first. This is a 5sp. tranny. Supposedly they put in a new throwout bearing. Couldnt prove it by me either way. Shifts feel a little sticky into all gears. Any ideas on what my problem may be. Did my mechanic cheat me and NOT put in the new throwout? Is there some kind of adjustment? Clutch went out 1500 miles away from home, so I cant take it back to the shop where it was installed!!!! Thanks for the HELP

Aaron
Old 03-30-2004, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me it does not sound like the throwout bearing. Sounds like the pilot bearing is tight. If it seizes you will not be able to release the clutch. I had trouble keeping up with the bearing when I had the five speed.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:02 AM

Pardon me ignorance LOL but is there a way to smear a little goober on the shaft? Will that help, or am I stuck replacing a bearing?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 01:45 AM

No transmission has to come out and the clutch has to come off the flywheel to get to it. The other thing that will do that is if the clutch disk is tight on the input shaft, or if the clutch center is coming apart which would **** the disk on the input shaft. But to get to any of it the trans has to come out.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:49 AM
Administrator

May be a weak slave cylinder. I decided to replace mine while we were putting in a new clutch and I'm glad I did. The old one had started to leak on the master cylinder end. Ordered the whole system, bench bled it, installed it, and no more problems.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:47 PM

I'm having the same problem with hard shifting and was told it could be the hydraulics. Is there a way to test the slave and master cylinder before I go out and spend the cash on a new one?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sons father in laws 2000 3500 Cummings 5 speed would not go into gear when idling. If he put it in gear and then started it he could move it ok, shifting was really hard. He had it towed into a Dodge Dealer in Brandon Fl I think. He had his 5fer at Rally Park just outside Brandon.

It was the pilot bearing, the imput shaft to the tranny was all ate up from gouging around the pilot bearing. He also needed a clutch and the whole nine yards, 9 working days and $ 2800.00
later he got his truck back. The hold up was for the imput shaft.

He had the 5th gear nut checked while he had everything down and apart as well.

Dave
Old 04-02-2004, 08:42 AM

I just finished pulling my tranny out thinking that I was going to need a pilot bearing. All the problems that has been described in the thread..I was having them.
A couple of weeks before I had planned to pull the tranny out..I called Peter@ South Bend Clutch to order the pilot bearing. While we were on the phone he told me that it would be a wise idea to have an input shaft kit on hand just incase the nose was messed up on the input shaft. A few days later here was a box that not only contained the little pilot bearing but a complete input shaft kit and the throwout bearing.
Anyway the tranny came out..and not only was the pilot bearing perfect but the clutch didnt even look like it had been used(36k currently on the 13" upgraded Con OFE). What turned out to be the problem was the input shaft bearing! I could move the input shaft from side to side enough to touch the input shaft cone(?).
We used all the parts that Peter sent and put it all back together... The transmission has not shifted this good since I bought the truck. The truck has 214,000 on the orginal transmission..

Sorry for the long post..

Rick
P.S. Peter and Southbend clutch are the BOMB!