24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

broke my dana 80 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry broke my dana 80 yesterday

first of all wanna say , short time reader, first time poster. found the website while searching the web and WOW, what a sight, i have learned a lot from you guys. but anyhow, i was doing a little minor wheeling when two side gears broke in the posi unit. has anyone had this happen before? is there any tips out there for replacing/rebuilding? i believe the unit was faulty from the factory. when it broke it wasn't under that much strain, and i have done alot worse to smaller units. the exteneded warranty is going to cover the expense, but i'm not sure of the longevity of the used/rebuilt unit vs. the new unit from the factory. we are almost positive they are not gonna spend the 4600 for a brand new unit.

i guess dodge makes it and CUMMINS brakes it.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:29 PM

If your extended warreny is fron chrysler, then they will repair if possible or replace the whole carrier if not
Old 05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

It must have been a faulty unit. I've beat the tar out of mine and it's held up and I've got the smaller rear axle (60 or 70 I don't remember).
Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Hmm, usually only the real high power hard core guys can break an 80...something must not be "right."

Chris
Old 05-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but here goes Is it a Powr-Lok or a Trak-Lok? As we all know, Tlok's are absolute junk and the Plok is the very best you can get.....I don't care what anybody says about Tlok's - they have proven to me to have a much lower torque handling capacity than a Plok.....I would venture to say that every time I here of a Posi failure in a Dana axle, it is a Tlok.....That said, even a Tlok will put up with a "little" abuse before it folds, so it sounds like there may have been an existing problem....

Kipo,

If you have the opportunity, make sure a Plok replacement goes in the axle and not a Tlok....
Old 05-04-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm not part of the diff group you guy are in but I'm running a good ol' peg leg rear end... I beat that rear end pulling logs, cars, trucks, rocks, trailers, etc... Still got good gear lube and check it once a month for color and chips (if any)...

Sound like someone need to point him in a new direction on where to find good aftermarket part for it... Since CTD Nut shown that factory isn't going to do it...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Chapter President

Unfortunately, from what I can gather from what the dealers are doing is that even if the truck was factory equipped with the Plok, the service replacement part # for the complete carrier now crosses over to a Tlok. So, it appears you could be screwed either way if you chose to have the dealer service the carrier - even if you had a Plok, it will be replaced with a Tlok!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

thanks for the reply guys. i'm not sure what the difference is between the two, or which unit is in mine. but we have found a used unit with approx. 60k on it, and is equipped with disc, and a posi. not positive on this info yet but i will be going to pick it up myself to drill the junkyard salesman. and i agree with you big blue, i've put some smaller units through much worse and have no problems. the only upgrades i got on my big blue is an afe stage 1, banks 4" w/power elbow, banks high ram and wastegate, and superchips programmer. the programmer wasn't in at the time of the failure. the problem i have now is the warranty people, (which is not chrysler) is thinking about crawfishin' on the warranty. i should hear from them today with their answer. either way i will be putting the used unit in for now and rebuilding the core for a spare. the hard part is finding aftermarket parts for an 80. their hard to come by.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

What parts are hard to find for a D80?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

well i was looking for a detroit locker and aftermarket axles, i found the detroit locker, but the ring and pinion and detroit locker are still eluding me. i also found out today that my extended warranty reps came out and looked over the truck with a fine tooth comb. they even had my mechanic locate the computer on my truck and take a picture of it to e mail to them. they wanted to make sure i wasn't running any kind of chip on the vehicle. they gave my mechanic hell for the high ram intake and the afe stage I but determined that would not be enough to void the warranty. now they are trying to avoid paying by telling me that because my rear tires (255/85s vs. factory 238/85's) are 1.25" taller than factory that they are giving the odometer a false reading. but they still fell under the 5% false reading. they are still sending another adjuster out tomorrow to go over the computer with a fine tooth comb. my question to you guys is , what kind of history does the computer store if i used to programmer a time or two during the past few months. ?? it has tripped no codes, no check engine light or nothing i can think of ever. but will the computer store the performance settings in a memory , even if it has been returned to stock , like it is now??
Old 05-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news. I blew my dana 80 last summer, one of the spider gears lost a tooth and went between the ring and pinion and destroyed all but the carrier. I had to wait for replacement parts for a while and that sucked - they had trouble finding a ring gear ( at a resonible price). The rebuild with after market locker cost $4000.00 cdn - ouch. If you can find a good used one, you may save some cash.

Good luck, Bret
Old 05-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Banned

kipo, if they wanted to dig deep enough into the computer they could find out you had a programmer on there but I doubt they will go that deep.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
kipo, if they wanted to dig deep enough into the computer they could find out you had a programmer on there but I doubt they will go that deep.
Sounds like they are digging pretty deep already.

Fine tooth comb and all.

phox
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

I would be willing to bet only DC's DRB scanner would have the capability to retrieve that kind of historical data.....that 5% odometer reading is a bogus claim if you had the revs per mile adjusted accordingly in the PCM for the tire size you are running.....
Old 05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Banned

will disconnecting the batteries clear any type of history from the programmer? that's just a rumor i heard but don't know myself. what exacty is a dc dbr scanner? my mechanic, who's been a lifelong friend might have one? but the adjuster will be there today and we will see.

Quick Reply: broke my dana 80 yesterday