24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Breather bottle re-location

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Post Breather bottle re-location

Man, that was an easy job to do. Takes about 30-45 minutes to do. Here is what you need.

8 feet of 3/4 inch rubber heater hose.

I reccomend 8 feet so you can route the hose your own way and leave some extra if you need it. I only needed 6 1/2 feet of hose.

Take off both the breather bottle and hose. Save the hose clamp on the old hose and use it on the new hose. I routed mine under the upper radiator hose and over the top of the engine between the intake horn and valve cover. It then went down following the fuel lines and shifter linkage (auto). DO NOT secure the hose to the shifter linkage, it may bind the linkage or make it hard to shift. It then follows the frame and ends at the transmission crossmember. I put the bottle on the left side of the tailshaft housing and secured it with a zip tie to an empty bolt hole. The bottle wanted to lean over but with the hose in it it stands up just fine.

Total cost : $6.88 for the hose and one beer.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be sure it's "downhill" all the way. Otherwise, it may collect oil and not vent properly. Do a search here for more info.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Administrator

It only goes uphill from the front of the engine. Then it goes flat across the intake and downhill the rest of the way. The stock hose has an uphill part before it went down into the bottle. I suppose this is to prevent oil loss at extreme angles.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
Be sure it's "downhill" all the way. Otherwise, it may collect oil and not vent properly. Do a search here for more info.
apparantely, the shorter the better...the hose can plug up in real cold weather and you dont want that. Some guys have ran into problems using too long of a hose. Probably best to just let it hang down (of course with some support) rather than running it along the framerail. I seen some guys that ran the hose to the back of the cab.....
Old 02-26-2005, 08:39 AM

Same design but shorter in tube... Plus I used PCV pipe... Still a $7 redo!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All I've done is slip a piece of 3/4 id hose over the stock one, no clamps, so that it hangs a few inches off the ground. Paints the pavement, not the truck.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:04 AM

Remember that rubber heater hose is not oil resistant and will deteriorate from the hot oil vapors into a spongy, gooey mess. Check your hose condition regularly and replace it when it gets soft, or else it may collapse giving you all kinds of problems. Use a clear hose, with the poly braided reinforcement. Oil resistant, heat resistant, and also pretty darn cheap!
Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by zulusafari
Remember that rubber heater hose is not oil resistant and will deteriorate from the hot oil vapors into a spongy, gooey mess. Check your hose condition regularly and replace it when it gets soft, or else it may collapse giving you all kinds of problems. Use a clear hose, with the poly braided reinforcement. Oil resistant, heat resistant, and also pretty darn cheap!
Where does one get that hose?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Im guessing - Home Depot....??
Old 02-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Take a look at this...

This design allows for steep hills and not spilling oil... it does drip a bit...

Never added oil yet!
Old 02-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Yeah, thats how my setup goes, except its with 3/4 heater hose. I'll get pictures up tonite hopefully.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 AM

I bought my braided hose at the local Theisen's farm and home store. I have seen it at Menard's, Home Depot, etc. as well. Just get the 3/4" ID hose. It looks like the short hose piece in the slick PVC setup shown above. Mine just extends straight down from the factory elbow hose. Never had trouble with low oil yet either.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 AM

zulusafari,

Very good tip - did you actually have trouble with your heater hose???

I and probably most people that have extended their blowby lne didnt know that the heater hose wont last.....Ill probably be switching mine when I have some time - just to be safe.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by zulusafari
Never had trouble with low oil yet either.
You will have a problem if you do any steep hill climbing / decending. It will actually pour out of the hose. I need to put the truck on a steep hill down and take pics of the oil sitting in the braided line... Seen that already!

Thanks for comment...
Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator

As promised I uploaded the pics of my setup.

Click here.

Quick Reply: Breather bottle re-location