24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Brake Line flare angle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Line flare angle?

Hey guys, I am getting ready to replace all brake lines from the master cylinder out to all wheels with stainless tubing. What flare is at the master cylinder, and will it need to be doulble flared? I know dealing with stainless tubing is a bit of a pain, but want to be done with it. I called Classic tube and spoke with a service guy who would love to get my old '01 lines to make a mold from for me and to offer kits to guys with that system in stainless, but I can't take the truck down for that long of a period of time. I will probably send them when done so others won't have to go through this . Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Stephen
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitDiesel71
Hey guys, I am getting ready to replace all brake lines from the master cylinder out to all wheels with stainless tubing. What flare is at the master cylinder, and will it need to be doulble flared? I know dealing with stainless tubing is a bit of a pain, but want to be done with it. I called Classic tube and spoke with a service guy who would love to get my old '01 lines to make a mold from for me and to offer kits to guys with that system in stainless, but I can't take the truck down for that long of a period of time. I will probably send them when done so others won't have to go through this . Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Stephen
i don't know about the angle,but i know all brake lines need to be double flared, otherwise they will crack on the flare
Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Service manual doesn't specify what kind of flare is used. A double flare and ISO flare is mentioned for repair though.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to say all but most automotive flares like brakes are 90*. Check with the corner of a piece of paper like a dollar bill when you get one apart. Aircraft flares like AN fittings are 100*. Clear as mud
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SAE brake line flare spec is 45* and yes it is a double flare......some flare tools are 37* but it isn't intended for SAE spec brake lines - only JIC 37* or equivalent hydraulic lines.

The brake line fittings on your Dodge are a SAE 45* flare.

Do not attempt to flare stainless lines yourself unless you are properly equipped.....your average automotive flaring tool will NOT flare stainless. If the wall thickness is large enough on the stainless, only a single flare will be a required which is a good thing since it is next to impossible to acheive the double flare with the thicker stainless tubing even when properly equipped.

If you are still set on stainless brake lines, you will be FAR better off to let Classic Tube do the work......they have the state-of-the-art machines to work with the stainless and do very high quality professional work.