2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rear hard line brake line.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear hard line brake line.

I recently had a pinhole form at the rear section of my hard brake line( which runs along the frame between the frame and tank) this looks like a nightmare to tackle. Any tips? Advice? I can't seem to find the fitting in front of the tank. Is it all one line to the manifold?

Btw funny how I found out. Got a soft pedal, looked under the truck, saw brake fluid dripping from the bottom of the right drum. Ripped it apart, much swearing, wrong parts, broken springs blah blah, replaced wheel cylinder , went to bleed it and watch with much depression as fluid shot from the hard line, across the truck and struck the bottom of the drum. That is my luck lol
Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Yep, 1 solid line from a block on the drivers side frame rail up by the front wheel to the block at the back of the frame. I used a 60" stick and I think a 24"? ( memory fails me here ) stick of 1/4" and a flare connector to join them. This is very close to perfect for an extended cab truck. I never get all excited and drop the tank, I just cover the 60" end with a piece of duct tape and shove it back through, the tape keeps junk out of the line. Make bends to get it hooked at the back block, then go up front and hook up the other line.

Make SURE you get the right line on the front block, the first one I did, I was in a hurry, and to make it easier, I clipped what I thought was the line to get the nut out, only thing was it was the line that connected the block to the MC, the one that goes back is behind the plastic wheelwell liner......
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok sounds like what I expected. I looked at the block the other day and can easily understand snipping the wrong like if in a rush. Did you take the remainder of your old line out? Or leave it in place? If so where did you fasten your new line?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by weiercd
Ok sounds like what I expected. I looked at the block the other day and can easily understand snipping the wrong like if in a rush. Did you take the remainder of your old line out? Or leave it in place? If so where did you fasten your new line?
Busted.......

I left it because I was lazy and it made a convenient place to zip tie the new one to.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That spot behind the tank just traps moisture.. I had the same problem a few years ago.
Only thing you can do is replace the line as a whole or cut off the rotted section and get unions to join the ends.
Id blast the underside of the truck with a rust preventative like fluid film.. Id also inspect or just outright replace your fuel lines with quality diesel fuel hose.
Youll need to take the tank off to do the work, so wait till its very low on fuel or use a couple motorcycle jacks.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haha what are the chances of that! i feel for ya!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
When I did mine over I just ran a new line in front of the fuel tank and tied it to the tank straps, following the tank. Easier to inspect and it's supported now. I never like the idea of a brake line "floating" without supports, where it can rub against something and create a weak spot over time. If I do that I'll sleeve it in rubber where it's not clipped down.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine the hard way, and I removed the tank... I was motivated by also wanting to address some wiring issues.

There are three plastic mounting clips which hold the wiring and the brake line in the C shaped channel between the tank and the frame. Sometimes grit and dirt can accumulate on these and cause corrosion to focus on the area.

Taking the tank off is not that bad, if you can get the fasteners on the two straps to unbolt easily, you have to let go of the fuel filler, vent, electrical connector for fuel level sensor, fuel line, fuel return line...

I echo the idea of having one hard line to span the entire area between the tank and the frame. I used a section 60in in length with union fittings at both ends.

Cheers,
Sean