24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blown head gasket

Well, I pulled back up to work and noticed coolant running out from under the back of my motor. I took it in to the dealer and the head gasket is blown. How much should this run and how hard would it be to replace it myself?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that hard to do....a lot easier if you've at least seen it done before. Other than a service manual, new gasket and a good torque wrench (if you don't have one)...all the cost is labor. It's probably a 6-8 hr job, depending on how much cleanup is needed once your in there.

Hope you didn't drive if far?

I would look into ARP studs ($400) and getting your head decked, if it's not perfectly level.

Any idea how it happened?

RJ
Old 03-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Well, I drove from my house to work which is about 4 blocks and when I got out I could hear something dripping. I looked under the truck and coolant was running out on the pavement. I then drove about two miles to the dealership. The truck never got hot and it had perfect oil pressure. I am not sure how it happened. I have no performance mods on the truck other than a bhaf and straight pipe. I guess it was just a faulty gasket. The dealership is going to contact me later today with an estimate. I would assume that it is covered under the 100k warranty.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be covered by waranty...than why do it yourself?

RJ
Old 03-31-2005, 01:50 PM

I was just asking because it is going to take them a week
Old 04-01-2005, 06:36 AM

I am doing one right now, and it is costing a bit. Of course I found cracks in my head that someone tried to repair so I ordered a recon from cummins. Which the recon head was much stronger cast than the head I had, weighed at least 30 lbs more than mine-was impressed with it. Decided to install gagues at the same time, also took the injectors to get checked-they were week, so I got some new ones, the 277 I think (30hp). I also have the famous "53" block, which hasn't crack with almost 300K hard towing miles on it-so I priced out a new block from cummins, not as much as I expected-so that is the rute I will be going.

To sum it all up. Take it to the dealer, will be cheeper-of course they will let things go that I won't. Good luck
Old 04-01-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by dieselnut55
I am doing one right now, and it is costing a bit. Of course I found cracks in my head that someone tried to repair so I ordered a recon from cummings. Which the recon head was much stronger cast than the head I had, weighed at least 30 lbs more than mine-was impressed with it. Decided to install gagues at the same time, also took the injectors to get checked-they were week, so I got some new ones, the 277 I think (30hp). I also have the famous "53" block, which hasn't crack with almost 300K hard towing miles on it-so I priced out a new block from cummings, not as much as I expected-so that is the rute I will be going.

To sum it all up. Take it to the dealer, will be cheeper-of course they will let things go that I won't. Good luck
You will upset some of the people here if you keep on calling it a Cummings. It is actually a Cummins.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 AM

opps dawrn spell check
Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

If your not runnining alot of boost I would skip the studs as that is a lot more work (unless hvy mods are in the mail)....BUT BUY all means replace all the head bolts.dont measure them.Just trash them.