24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blowby Spatter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Off roading as in through deep mud puddles alot- no.
Off roading as in hunting and fishing- yes.
Even for a short river crossing, I'm not worried about blowing anything due to the vent being under water for a bit.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a example...

I travel hills much steeper than this up and down... Mostly to chase firewood but I still got to do it... But the point is on steep down hills you will spill large quantity of oil into the fan (stock breather bottle)... It make a huge mess and also might do engine damage if the loss of oil is great enough. I loss up to a gallon back with my stock breather bottle traveling down a steep skidder trail with a tree in tow... I ended up asking my buddy to go downhill and get a gallon of engine oil to get out... That why I made the setup I did...
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

If the hose is extended to top front of axle area as mine is, it won't drip onto fan, even when front end of truck is pointed extreme downwards. At extreme angle as above, a small amount of oil could run out though.

This is an easy, safe and effective solution to removing blowby bottle, and the problems it creates of clogging up rad and overheating.

If front end is pointed extreme upwards it won't matter, as oil level won't be at that angle to run out(it will be running back towards engine). I also do lots of hunting/fishing/wood cutting/quadding/skidooing etc, and have had my truck in some precarious situations.

Blowby hose is slightly pressurized from combustion blowby gases(dependent on amount of engine wear). If you have even one bend/kink/restriction in this hose or tubing, you can actually backpressurize the engine with these gases, which will cause oil leaks through all seals and gaskets in engine.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 PM

That's what I'm worried about if I relocate it. Don't want to hurt the new engine!!! I also live in a cold climate and I don't want the vent hose to freeze up if I extend it. The whole deal behind this thread is that before I blew my engine, the vent bottle never sprayed like it does now. I now understand that the rings are not fully seated yet and that is the reason that there is more blowby now. I removed my rad when I built my motor and had it totally flushed and dipped to clean up the old oil residue. I want to relocate but I have a feeling that the vent will freeze up... I hope all that make sense..
Old 10-29-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
That's what I'm worried about if I relocate it. Don't want to hurt the new engine!!! I also live in a cold climate and I don't want the vent hose to freeze up if I extend it. The whole deal behind this thread is that before I blew my engine, the vent bottle never sprayed like it does now. I now understand that the rings are not fully seated yet and that is the reason that there is more blowby now. I removed my rad when I built my motor and had it totally flushed and dipped to clean up the old oil residue. I want to relocate but I have a feeling that the vent will freeze up... I hope all that make sense..
My vent pipe is up where the engine heat keeps it warm... Right next to the belhousing... No leaks, no spilling oil, no overheats, etc! I've tested this down to -20*F and never froze up on me! I NEVER have to add oil either... 90K on the clock... Also my dealer Ok'ed the pipe and said it was the best idea he's ever seen!

The front... The finish tube is painted black...

Exit point... Cant freeze or plug up...

Old 10-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

DodgeDiesel your vent will not freeze up by just extending a new hose. Position it down along front engine cover, and to just below the rad level, coming out behind drag link. Just turf out blowby bottle, and properly secure new hose(use clamps or tie straps), so fan won't hit it. This is the route I would go, for reasons mentioned previously.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks a bunch TORQUE, take it easy and enjoy the recient snowfall..
Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

You bet, it's time to bark up the ski-doo, and go out for a twist.