24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anyone have a P0216 out of the box with new VP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a P0216 out of the box with new VP?

I have about 150 mi on a MWFI reman VP. Truck has been slow to start sometimes (after the initial start of the day ie coming out of a store.) and fuel mileage seems to be down. FWIW, fuel pressure is 15-13# measured by mechanical gauge at the VP.

I thought perhaps an air leak & went back through the lines. I loosened & re-tightened every fitting I could get to (all except at the fuel tank). No leaks found.

This acts different than when the CKP went out. It always starts but cranks more than normal. With a bad CKP, it wouldn't start sometimes for hours.

I checked for codes & didn't have any until today when I got a P0216. The good news is VP is obviously under warranty. Bad news is I don't want to change it again for practice. Anyone ever have a MWFI VP bad out of the box?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 PM

I have had good luck with the pumps from MWFI, I have one on my truck for 110k miles. I also have installed several pumps from MWFI on other trucks with no problems.
I would give them a call, I have had nothing but great customer service from them.
However It has been heard of that they fail within miles right out of the box...From any company
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

I read somewhere where the key could be in backwards. I checked it 3 times. **** k, I'm getting tired of working on this thing & only want it to be reliable. Perhaps a gasser is in my future. [/end rant]

Anyone else?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 PM

The most common cause of the 216 on a new install is the install itself.I have gone behind diy jobs and found buggered up keys caused by excessive lack of finesse. Call your pump builder I am guessing they have seen this too.
The VP-44 gets a very in-depth ck on the bench before it goes out.
I have installed a huge # of them from many different vendors and Never yet a bad one.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bob4x4
The most common cause of the 216 on a new install is the install itself.I have gone behind diy jobs and found buggered up keys caused by excessive lack of finesse.
Diesel Dan has the entire install on youtube. (Search dieseldan vp44) I read the FSM and followed Dan's videos. The whole process went smoothly including aligning the key & putting the timing gear on the shaft.

I'm not really looking forward to installing again & finding out mine is one of the few bad ones. Also don't want to return a perfectly good part if I screwed the install.

I'm going to pull it out & reinstall or return. How can I know if I buggered the install? Can I re-use the key?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I had a bad one out of the box, I would get a code but I can't remember what it was, I would run smooth for a couple minutes then would miss a random. I reinstalled it three times with the matched key it came with, then sent it back got a different one and have had no issues.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man
Diesel Dan has the entire install on youtube. (Search dieseldan vp44)
I'm going to pull it out & reinstall or return. How can I know if I buggered the install? Can I re-use the key?
NO! The key is matched to the pump, it controls timing. Do not mix and match them or you could have problems.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by patdaly
NO! The key is matched to the pump, it controls timing. Do not mix and match them or you could have problems.
Sorry, can I re-use the key if I get the pump out & discover that I installed it wrong and reinstall the same pump correctly with the current key?

Another way to ask: does installing the key damage the key so that it can't be re-used?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
No, the key is not physically damaged, but each pump has a different key number. It has to do with the pump timing. I am not a VP guru, but on the ones I have worked on, they all said the same thing, make sure the number on the key matches the number on the pump.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Key was installed correctly and in place when I removed the pump. Key number matches number on pump. The gear that the pump shaft slides into is thick & well machined. Nothing buggered. It would be difficult to install wrong unless the key was backwards. Supplier agreed that problem is with pump - 1 of few that he's seen bad out of the box. I'll have the new one in by tomorrow & will report back.

Edit: VP is back in. It feels like throttle response is better. Will fill up & note mileage.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

I have to recommend dieselperformanceparts.com especially if you're local to Nashville. They have lots of goodies in stock - including extra MWFI VPs. My pump apparently was bad out of the box. They agreed & swapped it out quickly without a hassle. Now to decide what chip & injectors to spring for.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Junk Man, is the engine running good now?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clunk
Hey Junk Man, is the engine running good now?
Runs fine. Feels like there is more throttle response. Cleared codes. So far they haven't returned. Will have to drive it & check mileage.