24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Annoying Squeek from Steering Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying Squeek from Steering Linkage

I don't do well with squeeks and rattles - especially in my vehicles.

My '99 CTD 4x4 has developed an annoying squeek whenever I steer just off center. If 12 o'clock position is assumed to be center, the squeek occurs at about 1 or 2 o'clock It's especially noticable if I'm driving over bumps (dirt roads, rough pavement, etc.). It will go away if I turn the wheel very much further from off center, say to a 6 o'clock position. I've pretty much eliminated (or at least I think I have eliminated) the suspension components and I think I have it narrowed down to being somewhere in the steering linkage in the firewall area.

As I spend most of my time in the truck by myself and I have to be in motion in order for the squeek to appear, trouble-shooting this has been difficult - hard to crawl under the dash board and drive at the same time!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix? Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:09 AM

I too had a squeak that sounds very similar to yours. I took it to my dealer while it was under warranty and they replaced what I think was a Torque Shaft Bracket. If there is no such part, let me know, I'll look in my documentation.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a couple of picts in my photo gallery on a fix for some of that noise from the shift linkage. A piece of fuel line that hold pressure on the link and bushing along with a little grease and wide zip ties to hold it in place. That may get rid of some of your noise, but when you throw in the "only when turning" comment it might be internal to your steering column. I've replaced a couple of them for that and my 01 will do it in the right situations (most notably for my in a wide curve on a rough surface. get the wheel to the right position and it squeeks.) Wish I would have replaced mine while it was still under 3/36.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I,am not sure if your 99 is the same steering column as my 01 I fixed mine by removing the center panel below the steering wheel to gain access to the lower section of the column and using a can of spray gresse to lubercate the upper and lower bushing in side the column where it has the expanded metal.( the chush tube) hope this helps
Old 09-14-2004, 10:29 AM

I too have had that squeaky sound on my 01. At the time it was under warranty so the dealer replaced the sterring shaft. So that is what they told me anyway. The squeak did go away but now I am hearing a faint noise at times when I turn the wheel at lower speeds, hope it isn't returning. I have heard of guys spraying some lube on parts of the sterring shaft eliminating the noise.
I would like to hear some more on this subject though.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:05 AM

My steering wheel is squeaking the same way. Definantly inside the coulumn in the cab. What should I grease and what should I use. WD40 yes or no?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Idaho Guy
I don't do well with squeeks and rattles - especially in my vehicles.

My '99 CTD 4x4 has developed an annoying squeek whenever I steer just off center. If 12 o'clock position is assumed to be center, the squeek occurs at about 1 or 2 o'clock It's especially noticable if I'm driving over bumps (dirt roads, rough pavement, etc.). It will go away if I turn the wheel very much further from off center, say to a 6 o'clock position. I've pretty much eliminated (or at least I think I have eliminated) the suspension components and I think I have it narrowed down to being somewhere in the steering linkage in the firewall area.

As I spend most of my time in the truck by myself and I have to be in motion in order for the squeek to appear, trouble-shooting this has been difficult - hard to crawl under the dash board and drive at the same time!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix? Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated!
This is exactly what mine does too. It is driving me nuts.
J Body, I will look in your gallery and look at the fix you are talking about.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Mine would squeek when turning slightly, like on an on-ramp with a gradual turn. It would sound like it was coming from the a-pillar almost. It turned out to be the intermediate steering shaft. Greasing it where it slides together with a thin grease (too thick just gets pushed out) may help in the short-term.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM

You are talking about where it slides underneath the little rubber boot?
I recall trying to lube that a long time ago, but don't remember if it worked for me.
I will try that again.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM

I remember reading about a factory bulletin on that once. Seems like it was on Genos... Or maybe it was The Diesel Garage... Not sure. Anyway, the recall consisted of replacing a screw in the steering column that was too long. They even had a part number. I'll try to find it..
Old 05-23-2008, 05:40 PM

That would be great if you could find that little gem of a tidbit!

Thanks!