24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anatomy of a lift pump...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Anatomy of a lift pump...

So Gary. Which one of those pumps was mine? That's interesting stuff. The pump I sent you had maybe 400 or so miles on it. I got it brand new from Dodge and the pressures were 13 at idle and 6 at WOT. >
Old 07-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Thanks Gary!!! That is very good stuff and enlightening.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Banned

I'd sure hope it didn't show any signs of wear. With only 400 miles on it. What do you think could be the cause of such low pressures from the factory? Different machining tolerances?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Gary: Great article but I see a flaw in your logic. The bypas valve will open at a pressure difference of 16psi beween inlet and outlet. Any pusher pump will increase the inlet pressure and since the max pressure is limited by the overflow valve of the VP44 the outlet pressure should not get over 17 psi. So with a pusher pump the pressure differential is actually reduced and the pump bypass is less effective.(Also cooling of the LP)<br><br>On my old LP I found that the relief valve had spit out the ball completely. The rest of the pump is OK.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 07-11-2003, 11:03 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=4;threadid=16913;start=0#158802 date=1057932552]<br>1) The bypas valve will open at a pressure difference of 16psi beween inlet and outlet.<br><br>2) On my old LP I found that the relief valve had spit out the ball completely.[/quote]<br><br>1) Are you sure of this point, Alpine? When I was talking to Carter, they made it sound as though the delta didn't matter, that outlet pressure was everything. When I was rooting around inside the pump, I didn't see anything that would cause the bypass to function from delta pressure, however I'm definitely not an engineer and may have missed something ;D<br><br>2) We've seen this quite literally, a dozen times. The checkball badly beaten through the spring. <br><br>Rod
Old 07-11-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Rod: I am shure that this is the case. The ball is pressed against the spring by the outlet pressure. On the other side of the ball there is the pump inlet. So any pressure of the pump inlet will act on the ball in the same direction as the spring. Hence it will only see the delta P between inlet and outlet.<br>Any setup using absolute pressure would need a source for comparison outside the pump like into the open air or the like. (Or a return line that wasn't under pressure)<br><br>Hence you see greater pressure with pusher pumps in case of weak springs in the valve. <br><br>AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Anatomy of a lift pump...