24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I missing anything?

2001 w/105K, stock except for added 4" exhaust. No gauges (I know, I know). 6spd.

Takes about 3 times more than normal to start when it's cold, once started it runs strong, no hiccups or loss of power all the way to redline on the tach.

Kill the truck and let it sit for less than an hour and it starts immediately. Much more time between starts and it takes forever to start again.

No codes when I do the "3 times w/the key check".

Fuel filter housing is tight, no obvious leaks on the fuel lines, pulled back the "sheath" on the rubber/plastic part and it looks OK as far as I could see.

I was thinking that my lift pump is weak and going out. Anything else it could be or something I'm overlooking??????????????

If it's just the lift pump I was contemplating the AirDog. I just need to justify the extra cost over a stock pump. I won't be building for any more power and my stock LP lasted 105K so what would my justification be for the extra $$$ ???
Old 04-05-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like grid heater is not working.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by robert78.5
Sounds like grid heater is not working.
grids wont matter if your truck has only sat for 1hr, heck mine starts right up without waiting for the grids even at 0* C (32F)

I'd try leaving your fuel cap loose first, sometimes the vacuum valve sticks and it can draw the fuel back to the tank, especially if you have any leaks/loose lines.
Have you tried "bump" the key before starting the truck, that way the LP will run for 25seconds or better, hopefully priming the filter
thats a couple of things to do that are cheap and easy.
another reason for the Airdog is its got a life time warranty and it filters better, removes air, adds power, etc....oh and in Canada (edmonton for sure) a stock LP is almost 300$ for a pump that might or might not last 105k...my two cents

http://www.pureflowtechnologies.com/AirDog.htm
Old 04-05-2008, 12:34 PM

Its not the grid heater, sounds like the stock lift pump needs tossed. Get an AirDog even if your going to leave your truck stock.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM

I assume my grid heater is working. I work nights and when I leave in the wee hours of the morning my lights dim as it cycles when I first start the truck.

I tried bumping the key over several times to "prime" the pump but it does not seem to help. I had my wife do this when I was under the truck on my creeper and I can hear the lp come on. It rattles quite a bit. Don't know if this is normal as I have never paid attention to it before.

The fuel cap doesn't show any pressure built up when I remove it.

Couple of questions on the airdog. May be stupid questions:

1) It appears this setup bypasses the original fuel filter. Any problems with this? I assume there are sensors in the factory setup for water in fuel, etc.

2) Installation looks to be on a frame rail under the truck. Any issues with finding a place for it under the hood? Not wild about it being where it could be snagged by something I drive over.

3) Do you just unbolt the old filter housing and toss it?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, just for all around safety i would get a fass or airdog, you can put a priming switch on the pump wires directly to the battery but that doesnt seem like the problem because if it was bad then just driving when you give it throttle it will shudder and sputter, check all your sensors going into head clean them try to reset everything, change fuel filter.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Done.

Installed new LP from Diesel Distributors and it fired right up.