1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Uping Horse power Friday, am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Uping Horse power Friday, am I missing anything?

There is a local guy who has upgraded alot of second gens is going to work on my 1st gen. I dont know how familiar he is with the pump, so any tricks or suggestions I can pass on to him, LMK.

I have and am installing:

62/65/14 Ind.inj. wastegated turbo
6x.013 edmed injectors
HX 40 down pipe
5" silverline stacks
3200 gov spring
PDR fuel pin
Icebox CAI
Gonna have him bump the Timming up.

LMK, if there is anything else that is a "Bolt on HP option" I may have missed.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont forget about your star wheel...if you removed the pin you should turn the star wheel down like 1.5 or 2 turns that really makes a difference.Also the fuel screw (or power screw)... friendly words of advice if you have not done them yet ...sanding down your fuel pin washer with a smooth grit so the pin goes down further wouldnt hurt either.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You've got gauges right?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
You've got gauges right?

Yes, I forgot to mention, I got Autometer Boost and pyro on a pillar.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just take that washer off the fuel pin! You don't need it!

"Washer? We DON'T need no stinking washers!!!!!"
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much difference does taking the washer out make? power, smooke egt?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually you will have to run the star wheel up due to the big injectors. Shave the washer, don't get rid of it. Removing it will allow the fuel pin to go too deep and defuel the truck some under boost. Also back the smoke screw off until it's flush with the inside of the AFC cover. You will have plenty of fuel at low boost, now the challenge is trying to keep the smoke under control until the turbo lights.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Actually you will have to run the star wheel up due to the big injectors. Shave the washer, don't get rid of it. Removing it will allow the fuel pin to go too deep and defuel the truck some under boost. Also back the smoke screw off until it's flush with the inside of the AFC cover. You will have plenty of fuel at low boost, now the challenge is trying to keep the smoke under control until the turbo lights.

How much do I shave off the washer?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Look at the wear mark on the fuel pin, that will tell you how much needs to come off the washer. You want the fuel pin to be able to go down to the deepest part of the contour, but no further.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM

What kind of fuel supply do you have? If it's stock then you'll drain that poor VE.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Get a piston lift pump.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:45 PM

Sounds like good advise all the way around. I bet that things going to run with that big of a charger on it. I dont read on this section as much, do any of the guys run a 3rd gen turbo on your ve pumped trucks?? This would give some compairsion as to what you can expect because the stock compressor on the 04.5 and newer are 62mm but with a 9cm turbine. ONCE you get it spooled i bet it will run hard, i would sugg. not to get carried away with to much timming as it is hard on headgaskets. I put a super b on a first gen and it took out the gasket and its only a 58mm compressor- it ran around 46-48 lbs. boost. You might even set your boost at something more conservitve like 35 or so to make the gasket live untill you can replace it and get studs. JMO
Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C/PRD/
What kind of fuel supply do you have? If it's stock then you'll drain that poor VE.
A stock fuel system doesn't stand a chance. The low pressure piston lift pump will be just about maxed out with those injectors. I have to do something different with mine, 6x16's are too much for it.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stock600
Sounds like good advise all the way around. I bet that things going to run with that big of a charger on it. I dont read on this section as much, do any of the guys run a 3rd gen turbo on your ve pumped trucks?? This would give some compairsion as to what you can expect because the stock compressor on the 04.5 and newer are 62mm but with a 9cm turbine. ONCE you get it spooled i bet it will run hard, i would sugg. not to get carried away with to much timming as it is hard on headgaskets. I put a super b on a first gen and it took out the gasket and its only a 58mm compressor- it ran around 46-48 lbs. boost. You might even set your boost at something more conservitve like 35 or so to make the gasket live untill you can replace it and get studs. JMO
You have a 3rd gen turbo you want to let me try? I'd try it, I have another 1st gen thats going to fairly snappy soon.

The timing comment if a very good point. Don't get carried away, boost never killed a head gasket, excessive cylinder pressure does. I run my timing at 2.03mm of plunger lift at TDC, when put my o-ringed head on the old (2 year old) gasket was blown in several spots. Along with more pressure you keep the heat in there longer so 1200* EGT when towing wouldn't a good idea.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Na, just the one on my truck, i cant believe you guys havent tried this yet. I would think it would make a super turbo on the 1st gen setups, turbine and all the little 9cm is really quick to spool and will support lots of power, i did whats in my sig two weeks ago at bulley dog. 501 at the wheels with factory turbo and injectors.

Quick Reply: Uping Horse power Friday, am I missing anything?