3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do maintnace this Sat let me know if I'm missing anything...

Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do maintnace this Sat let me know if I'm missing anything...

ok so like title says this week end im going through to do all the maintnace i have let go for a bit... i just changed the oil and filter so thats good and cleaned the air filter...

i am changing the fuel filter, and tranny filter... and greasing the front drive shaft...

i want to change the oil in the diffs but not sure how to do it... im pretty much need to change everything casue im right at 30k... plus i need to have the tires rotated....

what am i forgetting and how do i change the diff oil? and how much does the front and back take?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 AM

Oil in Diff

bansh-eman the diff is easy to change first crack all the bolts loose with a I believe its a 1/2 inch or a 13mm wrench or a socket ( you'll need both) then unscrew the very top two bolts out about a 1/4" then unscrew all the other bolts all the way execpt the bottom one leave this one in till the very end then un screw this one almost all the way get the drain pan under the diff. and with a thin chisle or shim or flat screw driver crack the sdiff cover from the back housing drain the oil tack the rest of the screws out the rest of the way and scrape off the gasket glue with a razor blade clean the cover with brake clean put your new sealant on and then attack it to the diff housing trying not to smear the sealent every where, start all the bolts and tighten in a star pattern like a tire, and fill with oil 75w90 works good for the front and depend where in the world you are and ehat you do with the truck as to what weight for the rear 75w90 works good for most but if it hot where you are and have the truck load on the highway most times I would go with a 90w120 for the rear, and for the sealant get the " Right Stuff " it comes in a arisal caulking can from napa .

Sorry for the length

Hemi_on
Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front and rear diffs are very easy to do because the gaskets are reusable. Can't remember how much fluid you'll need for both but it is in the owners manual or if you do a search here you'll find the amount. As long as you fill to 1/4" of the fill plug you should be good to go. I seem to think that 4 quarts took care of both diffs with the rear taking more than the front. Also be careful not to torque the bolts too tight as I've heard some guys snapping them off in the process. The torque spec is something like 18-22lbs if I remember correctly. Again, do a search here and get the exact specs. I ran a 75w90 fluid and that should be fine unless you do a lot of heavy towing, then you may want to get something a bit thicker. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM

buy some extra ATF +4 and do the transfer case also, clean lubricate door, hood, tailgate hinges, hood latch...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 AM
MTC

I just did my front and rear diffs 2 weeks ago. I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90. I did it just like the above stated. Nothing to it.

I used a total of almost 7 quarts to do the job. Gasket is reusable.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM

iv got all the parts i need for the tranny fuel filter and grease points.

i need to get oil for the diffs. also im not sure where the transfer case is located on this truck... what all do i need to change it? just oil and gasket?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Transfer case is connected to the rear of the trans. It has the rear driveshaft and the front driveshaft coming out of it. No gaskets here. Just a fill and a drain plug. Make sure to remove the top fill plug FIRST, then the lower drain plug. Reason is some guys remove the drain, all the fluid comes out, then they try to take out the top plug and they cannot remove it. Now they have a bad situation, to say the least.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Just under 3 qts in the front and just under 4 qts in the rear. 13 mm socket for the bolts. I just snugged them up with a breaker bar and there good. I did this last friday and its a sinch.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Make sure you have the right "hex" key type socket for the transfer case plugs. On my 06 I thought they would be the standard 1/2 square recess for removal...I had to go buy one...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM

ok i just went outside and took a look at everything to make sure i knew where it all was prior to doing all the aintnace...

i see the transfer case and the plugs. and i know where and how to change the fuel filter... for the tranny there is no drain or filler right? you just have to open the pan and try to catch the oil, and to refill you have to get a funnel and fill it from the dip stick part?

for the trnsfer case. what do you use to fill it? a funne; with small hose or one of the small oil pump things that would take 50,000 pumps?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Pretty much that or whatever way you can do it without spilling. No real magic trick there.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM

the stock gasket is stiff, the napa tranny filter kit came with 2 soft one, should i reuse the stiff one or the new soft ones?

nm i got it
Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
Make sure you have the right "hex" key type socket for the transfer case plugs. On my 06 I thought they would be the standard 1/2 square recess for removal...I had to go buy one...
The hex recess for the drain and fill plug on my NV273 is 10mm...
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM

yep, transfer case is 10mm allen wrench. Too easy to change fluid. I need to do mine too.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM

i called the dealership today and they told me that the transfer case runs 2 qts of ATF+4

and the Diffs take 75 140 full synthetic....

what are you guys running? thats 75 140 is 11 bucks a quart and he said id need 3 for one and 2 for the other...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do maintnace this Sat let me know if I'm missing anything...