24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Air Intake Tempeture sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake Tempeture sensor

I have a 2001 cummins dodge ram 2500 automatic 4x4

reciently i have replaced the injector punp and fuel pump about 2 months ago, just started experiancing hard starting would start fine in the afternoon ,dive a bit than when i try to start again it would be hard to start or not at all,

the wait to start light would work , than it would not and still start, than it would flash and still start

i check the power and OHMs to the intake heater that was ok ,than i checked the power and OHMS to the relays that was ok and relays worked
started to check ot the air intake sensor , my repair book said that could be the problem, i removed it and check it out visually ,looked ok

i put the truck back togather ,started the truck several times in my drive way no problem , wait to start light still not working at all
i drove the truck a few miles to auto zone and had them check for codes ,i got a P0113 code, went to start the truck to go home, no wait to start light and would not start ended up getting a tow home
I got a new intake sensor from dodge went to install and found out the electrical connector is not the same ,original is rectagel and new is half round, dodge has no idea why ,it is an original cummins part

am i looking at the right part ?,has anyone else had the same problem?

help would be greatly appreciated

thank you Bill
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
give them standard ignition part #ax68 mopar #is 5011402AA

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/...-charge-sensor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 AM

thanks for your help i will give it a try
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge and what type of fuel pump did you install with the VP? OEM or aftermarket, ie. Airdog, FASS, Raptor, etc.....?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM

vp 44 aftermarket and standard aftermarket fuel pump
i do not have a fuel pressure gauge
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by bill63
vp 44 aftermarket and standard aftermarket fuel pump
i do not have a fuel pressure gauge
Dont mean to get specific but there is no "standard" aftermarket FP. So I'm guessing that you have an OEM replacement Carter fuel pump. The reason I asked about FP is because its very common for high quality aftermarket fuel pumps to over pressurize the VP during engine cranking. The issue doesn't have to pop up right after you install the fuel pump too. Not sure why but it could take a few months. The reasons the hard starts happen is because the pressure during cranking is to great on the pintle valve so the engine cant start until the valve overcomes the pressure. The easiest way to tell if this is the problem is when the truck wont start like normal then simply disconnect the fuel pump by either unplugging it or pulling its fuse. Then try starting the truck. If it starts right then you know thats the problem..........just remember to turn it off because the FP isn't running.

Now..........to take that a little further. This is ONLY you issue if the truck doesn't want to start after its FULLY WARMED UP. If it also has the hard start issue when the engine is cold or has been sitting for more than a few hours then this is not your problem. Hard starts after the engines been sitting or is completely cold is a sign that there's a fuel leak. For example, first thing in the morning it doesn't want to start but during will start fine after running in the store.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Dont mean to get specific but there is no "standard" aftermarket FP. So I'm guessing that you have an OEM replacement Carter fuel pump. The reason I asked about FP is because its very common for high quality aftermarket fuel pumps to over pressurize the VP during engine cranking. The issue doesn't have to pop up right after you install the fuel pump too. Not sure why but it could take a few months. The reasons the hard starts happen is because the pressure during cranking is to great on the pintle valve so the engine cant start until the valve overcomes the pressure. The easiest way to tell if this is the problem is when the truck wont start like normal then simply disconnect the fuel pump by either unplugging it or pulling its fuse. Then try starting the truck. If it starts right then you know thats the problem..........just remember to turn it off because the FP isn't running.

Now..........to take that a little further. This is ONLY you issue if the truck doesn't want to start after its FULLY WARMED UP. If it also has the hard start issue when the engine is cold or has been sitting for more than a few hours then this is not your problem. Hard starts after the engines been sitting or is completely cold is a sign that there's a fuel leak. For example, first thing in the morning it doesn't want to start but during will start fine after running in the store.
OR you have ECM issues. No wait to start light is a sign of ECM problems.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by TurboDeezul
OR you have ECM issues. No wait to start light is a sign of ECM problems.
True, true..... Because it should still start and run without the IAT sensor plugged in.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you for all your help
Mini14 you part numbers were correct ,i went to Napa gave them the Number and had the part next day ,
i installed the new sensor and still had the same problem,truck would still not start i got ahold of a code scaner and got p1693,p1694,p0123 codes,than the truck started to have a mind of its own, i got the truck to start just by turning the key,all gauges went dead no tach no volts ect,turned off the truck than would not start again, i started checking for a loose or broken wire ,bad ground ,relay ect, while doing this i noticed the wire harnes that gos across the fire wall from passenger side to diver side there is a connection with a lever on it to hold the connection togather,this connector was half open ,closed the connection truck seems to run fine
i must have bumped it when i did the injector pump and bleeding the fuel lines and over time it got looser to cause a poor connetion
i may look a little dumb on this one but dodge still can not get met the correct sensor,i also had the same experiace with my 04 and the fuel pumpp fix dodge has they could not locate all the parts to put the pump in the tank so i went with the air dog
i love both trucks but i do not think i will buy a new dodge just yet

Thank you all for your help
Bill