24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Air dog ii / vp44

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air dog ii / vp44

Hi all! Fairly new to DTR and this is my first post.

About a month ago month ago I was having issues with my VP44. I was getting the dreaded P1689 & P1693 codes. To make a long story short, the drivers side battery went dead. After replacing both batteries, the codes went away and the truck was running fine, or so i thought. I decided to replace my factory lift pump with a Air Dog II DF-165 and a new ISSpro fuel guage.

I finished installing the new Air Dog last night, and after about 10 minutes the truck started. I let it run for about 10-15 minutes, shut it off. Started it back up and it ran for another 5 minutes and it died. Tried to start it again, nothing! The check engine light is back on. Checked the codes and P1689 & P1693 are back and they will not clear nor will the truck start. Is it safe to say this is the death of my VP44?

My next question is where is a good place to buy a remanufactured pump? I have done some looking and they all seem to be around $1000, except for Blue Chip Diesel. They are almost double the price and is it worth the extra money? I don't do alot of towing, and my truck is not a daily driver. Currently I have a Banks Power Pack, High Ram Intake, 4 inch exhaust, and K & N air filter installed on my truck. My Transmission (auto) is still stock. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Welcome.

Did you have any idea what your fuel pressures where prior to your newly installed setup? More than likely it was to low if you were running the OEM lift pump. And yes, it sounds like your VP failed but if you want to be certain then you can try cracking the injector lines and cranking the engine to see if any fuel comes out. You can also check all the related fuses/relays. And lastly, you can electrically jump the VP to see if it will fire on its own. The Blue Chip website you found has the instructions on how to do that too. As for prices and availability..... I cant say if Blue Chip is worth the extra cost but he does have a good reputation and I'm sure you can find many vendors who sell VP's in the vendor section too. Just make sure whoever you get one from can guarantee that their product comes with all the updated components and a brand new computer too.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Chips site, "Up until February 1, 2011 we have always installed a NEW, upgraded computer, which is the most expensive component of the injection pump. It is also causes 90% of all pump problems, past and present. As these trucks are getting older and owners are considering the future life expectancy of their trucks, we now offer two pumps. We continue to offer a pump with all the mechanical upgrades and a NEW Upgraded Computer with zero heat cycles on it for those that are keeping their trucks a long time. For the people that are unsure of how long they will continue to own their truck, or just can’t afford the better one, we now offer them the same pump with a USED Upgraded Computer at a lower price".

Take a look at the Blue Chip site. It is an education on the VP-44...