24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Aerated fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Aerated fuel

Today I removed the fuel tank of my truck and noticed that the fuel line quick connect fitting was seized up, so I couldn't take it off without damaging it.
I replaced the line from the fuel tank to the LP wiht a 10mm rubber hose held tight by clamps. So far so good. Now my truck runs much better, the little shudder/surge it had under load is completely gone.(I attributed this to my bombs before) I found that my fuel tank module was run in a bit so it wouldn't really extend to the bottom of the tank.
While emtying the tank with the LP trough a clear line I notized that the fuel was kind of milky, thought of water first- but it was air. (very minute bubbles) I am now definitely shure that under high demand my engine got some air in the fuel. My FP readings were good all the time. But thinking that my LP and my VP44 were running on that stuff is a bit disgusting. Also the fact that air can be compressed much better than fuel makes me think that my effective timing got a bit late since the pressure rise of that foam ought to be a little slower than the one with pure fuel. Also the cooling and lubing capacity of aerated fuel doesn't seem too good to me. After looking at the shoddy fitting I think that this might also be a contributor to early inj. pump failures. The metal lines on the fuel tank module were also corroded, so I gave them a good cleaning and then some marine paint.

AlpineRAM
Old 03-13-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had to remove my tank a couple of time and indoing so I had to use hose clamps on the fuel module also. No problems after 50K miles.

I'll bet no one has run into this one! There is a little green ball in the filler neck called an "anti syphon" ball. It had somehow fallen into my tank and would hang up the sending unit to read full all the time. My dealer gladly charged me $650 for a new module. (see my ads) Then I went back into the shop the mechanic handed me the green ball and said "this was your problem". I sued them in small claims court and won my money back. Wanna but a used module?