24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

99 kdp fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the link for the tab kit. http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=64
Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 99 cummins
Thanks! Looks I'm gonna join the KDP killed club.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

If you find an easy to follow guide somewhere let me know. I am still curious to open it up and see.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:52 PM

Its quite easy to do, You pop out the coolant bottle, pop out the washer fluid bootle and just shove it back towards the fire wall as far as possible, unbolt the battery crossover cable, take out the belt, unbolt the radiato shroud but leave it hanging there, then you can unbolt the whole fan and fan mounting plate right off the block with the three mounting bolts ( take out the botom and top passenger first then with an open end wrench and some cursing you can loosen the to driver bolt but you have to hold the fan assembly up while doin this because the bolt doesnt come out of the mounting plate,but once you back it out of the engine block you can carefully work the fan and radiator shroud out. this is the worst part other than putting it back in), after that you and take the breather hose off, now you just have to take out the timing cover bolts seems like there are 400 of them. (as you take them out lay them in order as they came out so you put the right one back in its original cave), after them you can pop off the cover carefully so you do you dont mess up the crank seal, (unless you bought the kit with a new seal in it then dont matter), do the tab, use rtv silicone to make a new gasket for the cover and its all just a matter of goin backwards,
Due to 2 bad crank seals the third time it only took me 45 minutes to do all that other than the tab portion. Its very simple to do just take your time and it will be easy. Whatch the knuckles when pullin the fan and puting the washer fluid canister back in. I still have some blood in my engine bay from that dang washer fluid canister.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

That's the kind of instructions I can follow, thanks. Everybody always gets so wordy on these things that by the time I'm halfway through reading about how to change the oil I'm lost.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If anyone wants to see what can happen if you don't take care of the KDP.....

http://www.flex.net/%7Etriplem/new/dowelpin.htm

OUCH!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Banned

Thems the kinda directions that always made a fool like me not wanna mess with this dowel pin in the first place. They always made it sound like you had to strip your truck apart to get to it, and I wasn't goin there on a just in case errand.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure what a kdp is. But I am starting to think there is something I should be worried about.

I have a 98.5 24V. I think it was made in march or april or something like that.

Is there something I need to be worried about???? This date sounds like it's right in the middle of the times when there may be a problem of some sort?? And it sounds like I'm the only one who doesn't know about this problem.

My truck has 128K on it.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Puke,

You had better do it!! I have done a bunch from 1996-1998 and almost every last one needed some attention. My 12 Valve was all the way in, but it is tabbed now, some of the others needed to have the pin hammered back in!!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:40 AM

I forgot to add unbolting the harmonic balancer in my instructions there but im shure you would see that and it is very simple to do.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Puke
I'm not sure what a kdp is. But I am starting to think there is something I should be worried about.

I have a 98.5 24V. I think it was made in march or april or something like that.

Is there something I need to be worried about???? This date sounds like it's right in the middle of the times when there may be a problem of some sort?? And it sounds like I'm the only one who doesn't know about this problem.

My truck has 128K on it.
I would if I were you, see my post on page 2.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 AM

mr mcmopar,
Now you have me nervous.

I'm getting a little old to want to wait till something like that fails. And I do usually have a little more time on my hands this time of year.

I read through those instructions ..I think they may have been in this thread.
I'd sure like to be able to go buy a pamphlet on it somewhere to take me through it. My guys are off on vacation this time of year so I'm going to be a little slow at it. I hope none of it takes a second dude to help. I haven't done anything "pain in the rearish" like a clutch or tranny for over 10 years. Just getting old and buzy. But I don't completely trust somene else doing something like that.i..if you know what I mean. So I'd like to do it myself.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Do you think if I took it to the cummins/cat/peterbuilt place, they would know what I'm talking about and deal with it????
Old 01-03-2006, 09:49 AM

Puke,

If you order the TST "kit" it has a seal, the longer bolt, the "tab", and a tube of the correct silicone. It also has some very good directions. If you go to the TST web site you can download the directions and read them before you get the parts. One thing you need to be aware of is the fan...Take a LONG punch and hit the "nut" behind the fan on one of the "flats" on the right edge (this is a counter clockwise nut) a few times and it will come right off.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 AM

It's not a big deal-do it yourself.

Quick Reply: 99 kdp fix