24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

98 to 01 engine swap HELP!

Old 03-20-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
None of the motors with 2001 cpls had crank sensor and if you do install it it will just break the sensor

And no matter what year 24v ISB The ECM will Work with the pcm (Just trust me Ive done way to many of these swaps not to Know)

Not trying to bash you but you are giving misleading info.

jake
I didn't take that as a bash. If you know for certain, what I stated as guesses, then everyone learns and wins.

I don't see what I posted was misleading though??

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on how to get his rig running?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:16 PM

He stated the truck runs good, but no power - indicates the ECM(?) is mostly functional.

No power is usualy due to no Boost control, so check that first.

The gages problem is more than likely wiring differences in the cab-to-engine\ECM connectors, due to production changes between '98.5 to '01.

Lay the connectors together, look for wires\pins that do not match-thru.

Those are the things I'd check first.

If the ECM didn't smoke at power-up, suspect it last.

Right?

Sorry - I'm a life-long GM man, where it is a PCM or ECM or TCM, depending on whether the transmission is also controlled.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Don't the 01s run a higher voltage for the Map sensor than the 98.5s? Perhaps the ECM is not "seeing" much boost because the 98.5 sensor voltage is lower?????
Old 03-20-2006, 11:34 PM

OK heres the deal if it is a 2001 motor (no matter what year the truck) you leave everything and I MEAN EVERYTHING on the motor 2001 this includes harness computer any and all sensors---the pcm does not control anything on that motor at all so it has no effect on the way the motor runs. THE ECM MUST MATCH THE MOTOR(Because as stated before the voltages are different with the year changes, sensor changes etc...) the cummins comp. is simply that its the CUMMINS Computer Made to fit that motor.

im just trying to help here, I have done the swap several times

jake
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Opposite way For Me

OK heres the deal if it is a 2001 motor (no matter what year the truck) you leave everything and I MEAN EVERYTHING on the motor 2001 this includes harness computer any and all sensors---the pcm does not control anything on that motor at all so it has no effect on the way the motor runs. THE ECM MUST MATCH THE MOTOR(Because as stated before the voltages are different with the year changes, sensor changes etc...) the cummins comp. is simply that its the CUMMINS Computer Made to fit that motor.

jake

I am doing it the other way,, I start this Friday afternoon,, I am going to treat my NEW 2001 for my 1998.5 as a Long Block, All my sensors in my 98 Goes into the 01 any place on the 01 there is a sensor that's not on the 98 it gets a pipe plug And use my ECM,, I don't fore see any problem's BUT Murphy always shows up,,,
Old 04-03-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Finished,,, Done,, RUNS like A BUS!!!!!

Originally Posted by Truckman
I am doing it the other way,, I start this Friday afternoon,, I am going to treat my NEW 2001 for my 1998.5 as a Long Block, All my sensors in my 98 Goes into the 01 any place on the 01 there is a sensor that's not on the 98 it gets a pipe plug And use my ECM,, I don't fore see any problem's BUT Murphy always shows up,,,

New Engine is in ,, Just like I thought it would go,,2 Days,some snags,, Had to weld the wastegate actuator in the right position for the truck,,The engine I used had 8525 Miles on it ,It was from a 35 Passenger Bus That Burned,,So after the turbo thing it went pretty smooth,,Now have my first 100 miles on it..
And Just like I posted earlier,, The only sensor I had to changed was the map Sensor and my 1998.5 ECM runs the truck the same as it did with my #53 cracked block engine..I posted some photos of the transplant in my gallery....

Hi My name is Bob and I have been #53 Free for 2 Days and 100 miles now,,,, hahahaha haha

I just wanted to say a Big THANKS to all the good folks here who offered all the info that was needed to complete this Job.....

THANKS
The following users liked this post:
TEC (03-07-2023)
Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Ok, I am in a simular boat. Hope it floats. I bought a 99 FL70 It had a damaged cylinder form the tone ring coming loose. I bought a 01 Dodge motor. Moved the ECM and all sensors to the 01 motor. It starts and runs fine. Even good in first and second gear. After shifting to third and beyond, it is a dog. Cummins says I am where no man has gone before. I don't think so based on this post. The 01 motor did not have a tone ring or even a place to put one. I did not use it. My plan is to build an external tone ring like the 03's have. Is there an easier way. If I go back to the 01 ECM, it does not have all the sensor connections and doesn't look like it will plug into the Freightliner PCM.

Help
Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM

This thread is a little old but im in the process of doing this swap.My truck is a 99 with a cracked 53 block & my new engine is a 2001 with no crank sensor or tone ring on the crank.Is there a way i can get around this or do i have to swap the crank shaft from the 99 into the 01 so i can use the crank sensor & tone ring with the 99 ecm & harness.Or should i use the 2001 ecm & harness & just plug them into my 99 truck harness.The 99 is a 5 speed 235 horse & the new 2001 engine is also a 235 horse but it was an automatic trans motor.Are there any wiring changes at the main plugs on the engine to body harness.Thanks for any help.

Kurt
Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 PM

jake
What is the easiest way to correct this problem if it has already been put in Wrong truck runs but won't charge and no gauges
Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 PM

01 Cummins

I Have done the swap

I had a 99 with 53 cracked block

I bought a 2001 so motor out of a 5spd

You DO NOT PUT THE OLD ECM ON OR HARNESS it will not work

But It sounds like the 01 comp. is shot

Id start looking for another one and i would also pull the codes BUT PULL THE CODES FROMT THE ECM AS A 2001 not a 98

Also I would replace the cam sensor b/c if that goes then so does the tach and it will go into LIMP mode Lternator will not charge if the the cam sensor quits working

I would also go and double check all your connections (YOU NEVER KNOW)

Jake
Need some help with a swap I’m doin can you help me out
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bambi
Need some help with a swap I’m doin can you help me out
Agreed about the ecu. DO not swap it, you will have more problems down the road.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 PM

I have a 2001 computer but I plug it in and it still start like the motor knocking then it goes away
but no power and the tach is at zero.... do you I need to reprogram the ECM TO MY TRUCK since the
ecm is from a other truck