24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

98 to 01 engine swap HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 to 01 engine swap HELP!

I've installed an 01 engine in our 98.5. Runs ok but its a dog for power,
have no tach, speedo,or fuel guage. WHY? We used the wiring harness
and ECM that was with the 01 engine. Has anyone done a swap like this,
and what did you do?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 PM

I have not done a swap, however; the features in the ECM's will not interchange. Is the 01 a Standard Output engine - had a 5spd or auto behind it? Swap back to the 98.5 ECM. If the 01 is the High Output - had a 6spd behind it, you might end up swapping in the 98 injector pump also. But swap the ECM first.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM

Is there an incompatibility with the body control module?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:26 PM

I wasn't aware that there is HO and SO before '03 so I don't know which it is.
I tried the 98 ECM it wouldn't even start. Then I also realized that the transfer pump wouldn't run after a momentary crank on the starter like is normally is supposed to.
This truck is a 5 speed but I do not Know if the 01 engine came from a truck with standard or auto. I'm also aware that the old engine had a crank speed sensor which they have done away with on the 01.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:09 AM

I would take the ECM from the old engine and have Cummins make a template from that ECM and have them install the template from the old ECM to the one on the truck. that way all the features and parameter set-up from the old one will be on the new engine.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Crank Sensor

Originally Posted by Bootiner
I wasn't aware that there is HO and SO before '03 so I don't know which it is.
I tried the 98 ECM it wouldn't even start. Then I also realized that the transfer pump wouldn't run after a momentary crank on the starter like is normally is supposed to.
This truck is a 5 speed but I do not Know if the 01 engine came from a truck with standard or auto. I'm also aware that the old engine had a crank speed sensor which they have done away with on the 01.
Are you sure that's an 01? Not an 02.
I am in the process of doing the same exact thing removing a 98.5 24 valve and putting in a 2001 24 valve,,BUT My 01 HAS the crank sensor and cam sensor,, I was told WITHOUT the crank sensor the 98.5 ECM will not work,, If my new engine did not have the crank sensor I would not have bought it...
Maybe you can use the 01 ECM and have it reprogrammed from Dodge... MAYBE!

Good Luck.
Keep us posted.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 06:13 AM

Thanks I'll look into that. Is the ECM programmed diffrently for auto vs standard as well, and how can I tell whether this new engine is an HO or SO?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:04 AM

Talking Serial #

Originally Posted by Bootiner
Thanks I'll look into that. Is the ECM programmed diffrently for auto vs standard as well, and how can I tell whether this new engine is an HO or SO?

Get your Engine serial Number from the timming cover and call a cummins dealer parts department they can tell you all you need to know,,, It should have the HP rating right on the plate on the timming cover,, Like ISB235 or ISB185,, ISB245.....
Old 03-17-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just from reading about the Smarty programmer I have seen the possibility of 30 different ECM programs in the 2nd gen 24v trucks. auto vs manual, HO vs SO, Calif vs Federal...
Old 03-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Hmmmm....sounds like you actually have a couple of things to do.

The auto and manual tranny programs in the ECM are different.

The original 98.5 ECM unmodified by the dealer or anyone is going to be your best shot. I suggest not doing anything to it. Simply put it back in and solve the issues so it works. If you change the program in the ECM, I don't know if it will be compatible with the PCM.

The early 01's had the crank sensor, the late 01's did not. You know where the crank sensor is located??? (right above the starter). Look on the 01 engine to see if it has the bolted on blank off over the crank sensor opening. Try installing the crank sensor out of the 98.5. I'm guessing you still have the 98.5 wiring harness...? I have no idea if the crank will have the tone ring......

Now, I have no idea if this would work or not....
IF, you can find the PCM from the donor 01, you might try it with the 01 ECM to avoid the crank sensor situation. The PCM is bolted to the fire wall, in the passenger side, and you'll find three electrical harnesses running to it.

Keep us informed on how it goes.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:40 PM

Do Not Put Old Computer On!!!!!!!

I Have done the swap

I had a 99 with 53 cracked block

I bought a 2001 so motor out of a 5spd

You DO NOT PUT THE OLD ECM ON OR HARNESS it will not work

But It sounds like the 01 comp. is shot

Id start looking for another one and i would also pull the codes BUT PULL THE CODES FROMT THE ECM AS A 2001 not a 98

Also I would replace the cam sensor b/c if that goes then so does the tach and it will go into LIMP mode Lternator will not charge if the the cam sensor quits working

I would also go and double check all your connections (YOU NEVER KNOW)

Jake
Old 03-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by OlBlue
Hmmmm....sounds like you actually have a couple of things to do.

The auto and manual tranny programs in the ECM are different.

The original 98.5 ECM unmodified by the dealer or anyone is going to be your best shot. I suggest not doing anything to it. Simply put it back in and solve the issues so it works. If you change the program in the ECM, I don't know if it will be compatible with the PCM.

The early 01's had the crank sensor, the late 01's did not. You know where the crank sensor is located??? (right above the starter). Look on the 01 engine to see if it has the bolted on blank off over the crank sensor opening. Try installing the crank sensor out of the 98.5. I'm guessing you still have the 98.5 wiring harness...? I have no idea if the crank will have the tone ring......

Now, I have no idea if this would work or not....
IF, you can find the PCM from the donor 01, you might try it with the 01 ECM to avoid the crank sensor situation. The PCM is bolted to the fire wall, in the passenger side, and you'll find three electrical harnesses running to it.

Keep us informed on how it goes.

None of the motors with 2001 cpls had crank sensor and if you do install it it will just break the sensor

And no matter what year 24v ISB The ECM will Work with the pcm (Just trust me Ive done way to many of these swaps not to Know)

Not trying to bash you but you are giving misleading info.

jake
Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 PM

Question 2001

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
None of the motors with 2001 cpls had crank sensor and if you do install it it will just break the sensor

And no matter what year 24v ISB The ECM will Work with the pcm (Just trust me Ive done way to many of these swaps not to Know)

Not trying to bash you but you are giving misleading info.

jake

I am doing the same swap,,,1998.5 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4,Cummins 24 valve Turbo,, 245 HP...... Bought a 2001 Cummins 24 Valve 185HP WITH a Crank Sensor,,and am treating it like a long block,, My Injectors,,My VP 44. My Exhaust Manifold,WALLAH And I will use My 1998.5 ECM,, And you are saying this will not work?? Why?

I can post Engine Info if you want
Old 03-18-2006, 09:38 AM

Runs ok, but not much power - may be the wastegate diaphragm is ruptured, AFC is limiting fuel so engine runs without black smoke
Old 03-18-2006, 05:22 PM

Hi fellas I'm just letting you know that i've taken both ECMs to Cummins and waiting to see what they come back with. If the 01 ECM is indeed shot they will be able to determine that. Also both engines are 235 hp.

Quick Reply: 98 to 01 engine swap HELP!