24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47Re to NV4500

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47Re to NV4500

Hello all. So unfortuantly my transmission just went out on my 2000 Ram 3500 diesel. Its been a great truck, I've used it to haul all kinds of things, and its a great tow rig. But the trans started slipping a while ago, and now its gotten really bad, doesn't shift correctly, slips, often takes a while to engage [stalls for a few sec at stop lights/signs sometimes], and sometimes starts loosing power when moving. And the trans fluid looks alright, but it smells very strong burnt smell, and when it's been driven when you pull the trans fluid dipstick, steam comes out of the hole. So I would imagine it's pretty much toast. It's got 214,000+ miles, but I've only had the truck a year.

So I can either go built auto or 5-speed. I am really leaning towards the 5 speed. I read a lot of different threads here, and it seems to be a pretty common swap.

One question, say I can order a factory rebuilt 1 year warrenty NV4500 trans on ebay for about $1,000, how much do you think it would cost for the rest of the parts I'll need? Do you think I can keep it at around $2,500 or so[ leaving about $1,500 or so for parts]? I've seen built autos on ebay, but they tend to cost closer to $4,000, and money is an issue right now.

So, I've looked at some of the swaps people posted, but it seems to vary how hard it is. Is it just going to be a COMPLETE nightmare to do? I know there will be a few challanges, but I hope its not tooo hard, cause I really want to get my truck going within the next month or two.

Heres my questions:

1.what is the deal with the front drive shaft? They say they often need lengthened? How would you go about lengthening a driveshaft?

2. Towing wise, how do they compare to the auto? I read that turbo lag and not having the TC to multiply torque make them less powerful? Yet nearly all OTR trucks are manual. As long as I'll be able to get a good sized load going ok [5 horse/stock trailers, dual tandem gooseneck flatbeds with loads of hay, maybe a 5th wheel eventually, etc. Would you say the manuals are better for towing?

3.Can I keep the cost at max $3,000 or under [if trans costs $1,000].

4. How does the mounting go? Does the 5-speed fit in ok, or do any modifications need to be made?

5. any tips/advice/opinions?

Thanks. I know theres lots of threads on this, and I've been reading them, just wondering a few things here. It'll be me and my dad doing the swap, we aren't mechanics, but we are somewhat mechanically inclined, mostly worked on motorcycles, and we know a good machinest if things get out of hand.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I did the swap 3? years ago, and never looked back. I do miss a boosted launch once in a while but that's why my auto is gone I think.

1: If you are going from an RE to a 4500, you should be able to use the old driveshafts, the difference in length is only about 1/2" and the slip couplings can take that up. Older trucks with an RH trans had a longer overdrive housing and the difference is closer to 2", then you need to extend/shorten driveshafts.

2: For me, the 5 speed is far above an auto for towing. Mostly for getting going up steep hills, the granny 1st is nice.

3: I was right around 3k for the whole swap, the little stuff can add up if you need to buy it all individually, as well as a good clutch/flywheel/hydraulics can take a good bite. Browsing this and other for sale forums can find good package deals.

4: Overall it's a pretty easy swap. Biggest things are input shaft on the transfer case (locating one can be tough) needs to be swapped, you need to put a clutch pedal in, and cut a hole in the floor. Also don't cheap out on a clutch, get something that can handle your current power and whatever you may do in the future for power upgrades. Lots of options on this.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, thats very helpful. Yea I think the stick will be way better for towing, its just I heard some people saying the torque converter multiplys torque therefor double torque for starting up hills. But the 5-speed with that granny gear and low gears would also multiply torque, because the 47RE has a very tall 1st and 2nd gear, way taller than the NV4500.

Plus, I just like the control of the stick, and it seems like when things do go wrong it costs a hell of a lot less than an auto.

Yea I may go with an aftermarket clutch, I don't plan on doing too much mods, maybe eventually a chip [not for racing for the extra torque for pulling stuff], right now just have a k&n intake and an MSRB exhaust.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Contact member "Redlinear" for parts for the swap first...