24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2002 Dana 70 3.55 Can I add limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Dana 70 3.55 Can I add limited slip?

I have a the 2002 which some not so smart person paid the extra money for the power seat instead of the limited diff. Can I add this to the truck? I would like to hear from somone who had done it. I previousely owned a 98 2500 4x4 with 4.10 and limited. I never had to use four wheel drive in the Indiana winters with that. This truck I bought new and it is useless without being in 4 H. Any help with personall experience and ease of install along with expected cost would be great. I am a need member that loves my truck. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:20 PM

I'm in the same boat. Bought the truck used, but didn't really think to look for the limited slip tag on the rear end. I have not done any research but for the cost differance it might better to go ahead and see if you can get some form of a locking rear.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:11 AM

I would not reccomend a locking diff for street driving...too hard on tires, won't unlock always on corners=slipping in corner, makes some scary noises at odd times, limited slip/posi/true trac/trac lok/ arb/ all would be much better for street driving, they are not as good offroad but have way better street manners
Old 03-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
install a power Lok it is an old school LSD but IMO works 10 times better thtna the trash lok they started using later on
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 PM

I was really thinking about the type lockers that are coming in many of the new trucks and suv's. They don't seem to make any noise while driving on the street. I believe they are some type of electronic locker.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Where can you get the power Lok? Is there a air locker anyone knows of that would work?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ARB pretyy much has the market cornered on air lockers. They have an electric locker also now. I have heard that Detroit also makes an electric locker, but I have not seen it.
I didn't think to look for a tag when I bought mine either.
I'm looking hard at the LockRight. http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/...arts/lckrt.htm
It is supposed to be quiet, cheaper, more well-mannered than a detroit, no clutches to wear out, will fit into my existing carrier, and should install without pulling the carrier out of the rear. This means no re-setting up the the ring and pinion, always a good thing.
From what I have read, the only thing is that when you turn a corner you will actually speed up, because the wheel that unlocks is the outside wheel, not the inside.

Chris
Old 03-15-2005, 10:29 PM

me and my buddy just changed the rear end in his truck and it was a really easy job. the fact that all you have to do is take the ring gear out. when the send you the limited slip or the locker all you have to do is unbolt the ring gear then bolt the ring up to the locker or limited slip, which ever you get then you are good to go. don't forget about torque and you have to make sure you have the proper backlash. let us know how it turns out
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 PM

I second the ARB air locker.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:24 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ARB is cool, i had one in the rear but the frustrating part of it is when driving on ice with one track dry and the other still ice, or for that matter any kind onf on road driving you still have a one wheeled wonder. The cost is also considerably more for something that is strictly an offroad item as it is either a spool or open carrier.

The Power Lok can be had through any of the carrier suppliers. Reider racing etc. and gives you better traction in more areas of driving. As to a locker i have argued against them for pavement pounders, tire wear, cross shafts wearing and breaking gears stripping out. I've delt with alot of that through towing over the years and went back to the power lok, if you have doubts about how well a Power lok functions take a look at my pictures that green ford is a cummins powered power lok equipt truck with a loose D60 power lok up front and tight power lok in the D80 rear. you decide if you think i needed much more and i had good road mannners too

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ited+slip+dana

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...a&pagenumber=2

enjoy
Old 03-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ddestruel
ARB is cool, i had one in the rear but the frustrating part of it is when driving on ice with one track dry and the other still ice, or for that matter any kind onf on road driving you still have a one wheeled wonder. The cost is also considerably more for something that is strictly an offroad item as it is either a spool or open carrier.

The Power Lok can be had through any of the carrier suppliers. Reider racing etc. and gives you better traction in more areas of driving. As to a locker i have argued against them for pavement pounders, tire wear, cross shafts wearing and breaking gears stripping out. I've delt with alot of that through towing over the years and went back to the power lok, if you have doubts about how well a Power lok functions take a look at my pictures that green ford is a cummins powered power lok equipt truck with a loose D60 power lok up front and tight power lok in the D80 rear. you decide if you think i needed much more and i had good road mannners too

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ited+slip+dana

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...a&pagenumber=2

enjoy
Yes, yes, yes.....dd speaketh da truth!.......If you spend a lot of time on the street and demand a good handling, safe truck then stay away from an auto locker......as dd already mentioned, they really beat up the rest of the axle and can directly cause other axle components to fail prematurely in high load situations on the street......save the auto lockers for dedicated wheelers.......I am NOT a fan of ARB's in the rear because you are stuck with an open diff in the unlocked position and you have to manually lock it when you require a spool - it is the best diff for the front, IMO.......For the street, the powr-lok takes care of all that with no effort and operates very smooth and is very strong.....it works well in high load conditions on the street.......The one exception is the Detroit Electrac that operates as a Tru trac planetary limited slip in the open position (a good posi by itself but 2nd to a powr-lok) and is manually locked by an electric solenoid.

Good threads dd!.....
Old 03-18-2005, 03:56 PM

Here is a link with info on the various items mentioned above:
http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm#slip

I agree that a LSD is better for highway use. When I bought my first CTD truck in '99, I couldn't find a manual with a LSD (Dana 80 rear end). I installed a LSD with help from a (mechanic) friend -- shortly after getting stuck on a city street with both right tires in snow/ice and both left tires on dry pavement. Fortunately, my '00 has the LSD in the rear/D70.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Just get a used carrier from a 1994 and newer dana 70..the clutches last almost forever .
Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by diesel_burner
me and my buddy just changed the rear end in his truck and it was a really easy job. the fact that all you have to do is take the ring gear out. when the send you the limited slip or the locker all you have to do is unbolt the ring gear then bolt the ring up to the locker or limited slip, which ever you get then you are good to go. don't forget about torque and you have to make sure you have the proper backlash. let us know how it turns out
I would never just bolt in a new carrier based on back lash only, the gears need to be patterned with prussian blue/paint/dye something to verify you have a good setup. clearances change on every single part so it is critical to check this, it is possible to get a good backlash read with the wrong carrier (high speed carrier on low gears) but you will be way off on the pattern. IMO
Old 03-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by high country
I would never just bolt in a new carrier based on back lash only, the gears need to be patterned with prussian blue/paint/dye something to verify you have a good setup. clearances change on every single part so it is critical to check this, it is possible to get a good backlash read with the wrong carrier (high speed carrier on low gears) but you will be way off on the pattern. IMO
I tried to set one up once, when I didn't know what I was doing. It lasted 150 miles.
I still don't know how to set one up, the exact reason I like a locker/LS unit that does not require changing the carrier.

Chris

Quick Reply: 2002 Dana 70 3.55 Can I add limited slip?