24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1689 code is haunting me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1689 code is haunting me!

I just replaced the VP44, it ran fine for a few days and when I stopped a few blocks from home it won't start. It throws the 1689 again. The code means "No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module". It also throws 0463 and 1693, both of which i think are irrelevant to this situation (I do know what they both mean).

It absolutely will NOT start now. It used to just take a long time, lot of cranking, but tonight it absolutely wouldn't start.

I don't have my multimeter, lent it out, so I can't check voltage on the batteries. One is corroded the other isn't. I unplugged and then reconnected the plug on the IP and still no go. Is this an APPS problem? I have no ideas and no leads to go on, here.

I just blew $1,100 on an IP when it wasn't needed, apparently. Help, please!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P1689 - Data link circuit failure between ECM and the injection pump

P0463 - Curcuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel guage sending unit

The P1693 is probably relevant to the problem, and the P0463 may be related. You've probably got a wiring harness short, or non-connection problem, somewhere.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by darrenG
I just replaced the VP44, it ran fine for a few days and when I stopped a few blocks from home it won't start. It throws the 1689 again. The code means "No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module". It also throws 0463 and 1693, both of which i think are irrelevant to this situation (I do know what they both mean).

It absolutely will NOT start now. It used to just take a long time, lot of cranking, but tonight it absolutely wouldn't start.

I don't have my multimeter, lent it out, so I can't check voltage on the batteries. One is corroded the other isn't. I unplugged and then reconnected the plug on the IP and still no go. Is this an APPS problem? I have no ideas and no leads to go on, here.

I just blew $1,100 on an IP when it wasn't needed, apparently. Help, please!!

i hate to tell you this, i had the same code when my VP44 died.
i had a wire from the ECM to vp was burnt. supposedly this was the cause of my VP44 dying. the guy had to piggyback a wire in its place.
the new plug for the ecm was like $850, so i just opted for the piggyback wire.
i hope you didnt kill another vp, it should be under warranty.
my truck still ran, but like crap.

hope this helps, dieselfan
Old 10-05-2006, 08:15 PM

how in blue blazes does a wire get burn down there? I wouldn't be surprised if that's my case. I'll take piggy-backing over a new plug any day. The problem is, if it blew another VP-44 do I want the shop to install a new one? no, not really. so getting it somewhere I can install it myself, again, is gonna suck. On the plus side - if I actually try I think i can swap a VP in 3 hours or less.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by darrenG
how in blue blazes does a wire get burn down there? I wouldn't be surprised if that's my case. I'll take piggy-backing over a new plug any day. The problem is, if it blew another VP-44 do I want the shop to install a new one? no, not really. so getting it somewhere I can install it myself, again, is gonna suck. On the plus side - if I actually try I think i can swap a VP in 3 hours or less.

i wish i knew. the truck was basicly stock except for the superchips and exhaust. i didnt run it that hard either.

maybe something is unplugged, that would give you a no communication code also.
good luck and i think you can do it in 3 hrs with help of DTR .

diesefan
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 PM

i also have a 1689 code and my truck wont run at all. i also have super chip and a straight pipe kepp us posted on what you find out