1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Windshield Gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Windshield Gasket ?

Just found a chip in my windshield, and I was searching for a new gasket for replacement.

Where do you guys get yours ? Rock auto and JCWHIT didn't list one, AFAIK

TIA

T.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Steele Rubber Products is another alternative.

Steele Rubber Products
Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I just went through the whole front windshield fiasco. Your better off going to a trusted glass shop and have them order the new gasket and locking strip. Most of the time though your old gasket will be in good enough shape for them to re-use.

I bought my new gasket off E-bay...but didn't get the chrome locking strip with it. It was a lot harder to just buy the chrome locking strip locally. My glass shop told me that if I had just come into them they could have ordered everything as a kit, it would have been much easier. They eventualy were able to just get the chrome locking strip, but it cost me.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just replaced my gasket with a new precision gasket #wcr914 ($76.00) and black lock wlf 900 ($15.00).bought them from "the clip house" most likely the worst ill fitting gasket i ever bought! i can post pictures if you like.and no,i did not complain to the clip house about it.what do i do send it back and have no windshield for two or three weeks and then pay another $75.00 to install a new one!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with thrashingcows. you will not pay much more to a glass place for the gasket and if there is a problem with poor fit, leaks etc. they will fix it. If you supply the gasket it becomes your problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:22 PM

next one the glass guy will do for me!i learned my lesson.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Good advice,

I'll check to see the nearest glass shop and have them do the work.

I really wanted to pull the windshield myself to see if there's any rust issues below the seal.... address them, and then take it somewhere.

I guess I could still do the same thing.... I'll just be driving with goggles on that day...

T.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Check around and see if you can find a old timer who really knows his stuff. I got the run around from a lot of the "Big" name glass companies. They basicly told me to bugger off, and it wasn't worth their time to work on this old stuff.

After talking to a few people I was recommended to a small glass shop, and the owner has been doing this stuff for 30+ years. Great place to deal with.....really knew his stuff.

I too removed my own windshield, then cleaned under the front drip rail...prime and repaineted...then drove 20 miles to the glass shop with no windshield. It was a hoot.

Name:  PICT5281.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  117.0 KB
Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
could you pls p/m me the name of the shop if he did a no leak job? mine seems to leak after the new wind shield as does a coworkers.and hes been thru two shops,with the same leaky results. thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by crazy clem
could you pls p/m me the name of the shop if he did a no leak job? mine seems to leak after the new wind shield as does a coworkers.and hes been thru two shops,with the same leaky results. thanks
I'm still getting a little water into the truck from the front windshield...but not much. A few drips and drops. The problem is near the center of the windshield on the top...you can't get any additional sealant in there after things are done.

I'm still getting water into the truck from the drip rail, door seals, and vent windows....
Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJTman
Good advice,

I'll check to see the nearest glass shop and have them do the work.

I really wanted to pull the windshield myself to see if there's any rust issues below the seal.... address them, and then take it somewhere.

I guess I could still do the same thing.... I'll just be driving with goggles on that day...

T.

The glass place we use only charges around $5 to come out to our shop and replace glass. Can't even drive into town for $5 these days.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the shop name, id be happy with just afew drips from the wind shield, but on the buddys truck when you see streams coming the new windshield gasket from two different shops it tends to turn into snafu fubar four letter cuss word time
Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 PM

i can post pictures if you like.
Cseby, please do, I am curious as to what was wrong with it.

I'm still getting a little water into the truck from the front windshield
id be happy with just afew drips from the wind shield, but on the buddys truck when you see streams coming the new windshield gasket from two different shops it tends to turn into snafu fubar four letter cuss word time
I'm still not convinced a shop will do better.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 PM

After seeing how the shop that did my windshield tried/had to seal things up...I wouldn't attempt it myself. He put sealant inside both the outside, and inside channels, and then more on the outside. It was a dirty messy job that you couldn't pay me enough to try and do myself. Plus if they break the glass trying to slap it into place it's their dime to replace.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 AM

here are some pictures of my poor fitting windshield gasket.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Gasket ?-004.jpg   Windshield Gasket ?-005.jpg   Windshield Gasket ?-006.jpg   Windshield Gasket ?-007.jpg   Windshield Gasket ?-008.jpg  

Quick Reply: Windshield Gasket ?