1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wierd Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wierd Wipers

My wipers started running in the "off" position. The interval settings are OK, also "washer" and "fast" work. Before I further enrich Dodge for a multi-function switch are there any smarter (cheaper) remedies?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
9MM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol depending if you wanna do it the cheap way just put a toggle switch in the power wire going to the switch. But if I where you I think I might be looking at a new switch.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 PM

The fuse/switch was my git-u-home fix as you mention. Dealer said no-longer-stocked; didn't ask price as it took long enough just to get what I did. So it's another hackjob in the old truck for the time being, ... I really need to get at a good donor, ...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
9MM
Banned

Try like um bluestreak.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 9MM
Try like um bluestreak.
Did that and found the switch. Thus encouraged I called PartSource and they HAD one in stock. I rushed over and popped in the new one. Get this: wipers still run in "off" position, plus my signals didn't work. I thought maybe defective out of the box, so get another one, same thing. Fortunately the store took the parts back. My truck is late '93 so I asked him to check the '94, ... same p/n. So I've installed the toggle switch/inline fuse and now we have yet another hacked fix .... the good news is it'll work this way. I've got a feeling there's a wiring harness replacement in my none-too-distant future as I've installed more copper in there than Dodge did.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
It is possible that your situation lies with the internal "park" circuit in the wiper-motor.

This for sure ain't gospel; but, my understanding is that, when you cut the power to the motor, a secondary set of brushes energize to "park" the wipers.

Maybe this "park" business is not turning itself off.

Do they still run even with key=OFF ??
Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
It is possible that your situation lies with the internal "park" circuit in the wiper-motor.

Do they still run even with key=OFF ??
That puts new light on it; I'd forgotten about the park system. They do shut off with the key "off". To get home I ran male crimp-on terminals into the wiper fuse contacts, then inline fuse and switch to get'em to stay off, but be available for pop-up showers. Really with all the "fixes" and silly circuits I have a thief wouldn't have a chance getting away with this truck
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<------Shaking his head.
And we wonder WHY these trucks have bad wiring, with people who plain WILL NOT troubleshoot and fix things properly.
YES, it's a "PARK" contact issue in the wiper motor.

Mark.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
9MM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
<------Shaking his head.
And we wonder WHY these trucks have bad wiring, with people who plain WILL NOT troubleshoot and fix things properly.
YES, it's a "PARK" contact issue in the wiper motor.

Mark.

I would wanna fix it right but it would be a temporary fix to get things by.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
<------Shaking his head.
Mark.

There are plenty of these trucks that have all manner of electrical problems and every hair of the wire in exact factory-intended manner.

Headlight switch and wiring issues, voltage-regulator/alternator issues, sorry poorly-thought-out fuse-block issues, crappy column-mounted multi-function switch issues, not to even mention continuous fuse-link issues, and I can go on and on for pages.

The wiring engineering on these and many other vehicles leaves a lot to be desired and are the cause for most of the trouble people have with them.

With every electrical issue I come against, I have completely discarded whatever factory system it was that was causing the problem and replaced/rewired with a circuit of my own making that is by far for the better.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:07 PM

For the sake of completeness I bring up my old thread: I replaced the wiper motor as suggested by BK. It now works exactly the same as the old one, but I'll leave it in and carry the old one as a spare. I did replace the worst looking bushings and have spare new ones, so at the end of the day the system is better than before. Another "fix" that my old beast may end up taking to the bone yard