1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Who says a VE pump can't compete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who says a VE pump can't compete?

Well its definately summer time and that means truck pulls, drag races, and dynos all over the country. I definately had the itch and have been hitting a few events so far. On June 8th I hit Adrenaline Performance's Dyno day in Shelly, Idaho and laid down 498.9hp and 998.9 ft lbs. I've been on a few different dynos the past year and have ranged anywhere from 450hp to 507hp with my current setup so i'm guessin its in that neigborhood still. Dynos are fun and all but everyone I get on comes up with something different, so personally I'd rather be pulling or drag racing, its more fun anyways. Well I've been gettin some taste of that this season as well.

My first pull this year was on June 15th. I went down to 2.6 diesel class this year since they decided to allow us to run hood stacks in that class and the 3.0 class trucks around here were starting to get wild. The truck ran strong and ended up with a close 5th place out of 12 or so trucks. I had a few weeks off and finally got around to putting some spicer non greasable u joints in my rear driveshaft so that I could sleep a little better at night. Also modified my weight bar and raised it up about a foot so I could pull on and off a trailer with the weights still on the front. Pulling was becoming no fun when I had to buck 1700 to 1800 lbs in tractor weights twice every pull.

This past weekend was a big weekend. I went to Bully Dog Days on Friday in Pocatello Idaho and participated in the dyno, pulls, and dirt drags. Ended up with 3rd in the pulling 2.6 class, and 2nd place in the dirt drag single turbo class. The next day on Saturday, the circuit I normally pull with came to my hometown for the first time ever so I of course had to pull there. I ended up with 3rd place in my hometown pull as well with a pull on a short track of 189'. It was an eventful weekend but I can't have a single complaint about how the truck is performing. I've been running this same setup with a 14mm VE pump for over a year now and have not had a single hiccup yet.

Here is a few vids so far, my first pull this season

Bully Dog Days 3rd place pull, my torque converter finally locked up towards the end of the pull and then the weight hit hard and it snuffed out. We are still trying to figure out how to get the trans to lock up earlier but I think the rpms are too high and not letting it. My trans builder is saying we need to put a 518 governor in this 47rh to get it shift earlier and lock when I want so we will probably give that a try before too long.

Here's one of my dirt drag races from Dog days as well. This was my first time dirt drag racing but it was a blast. Ended up with 2nd place behind a quick duramax that always got me off the line.
(still uploading)
Here's a pic of it shooting a flame out of the stack which it was doing all night long.
Name:  flames_zps411506fa.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  48.2 KB

And here is my hometown Grace, Idaho pull. I got to pull twice since I was the first one to go in my class. I ended up pullin 189' 9" my first time and then pulled 189' my 2nd run but still ended up with 3rd so the first vid is my 1st pull and the 2nd one was my final pull.

All in all I am very pleased with how its held up so far and how well its doin for its age, miles, abuse, and money I have into it. People tell me that it sure seems to pull like it has much more than 450-500hp. I haven't broken a single thing the past few years pullin yet but that must mean I need a little more juice. Its still got a rough 274,000 miles on the clock with the head never being off or the motor never been into. I'm still thinking of going with a cam, gettin this trans to do what I want and maybe some more air to it and I think it oughta be a pretty fun setup. Just keep in mind folks, do your homework and a VE pumped truck can run with most the big boys. I've sure enjoyed representing 1st gens and a VE pump while competing with trucks with 2 to 3 times the money into them and having much more power but still beating them with a good old farm truck.

I hope I gave some of you VE guys an itch and some proof that power is possible, these pumps really can be a lot of fun.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM

Good work looks like she is running good!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM

Way to rep!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
doesnt the 2.6 class run up to a 71mm sized charger?

you need more air. A cam, (which would help spool that 66) and head porting would probably give you some good results. the turbo should flow enough air to clean up what fuel you have, but she runs nice!

nice to see a first gen doing well.

More than that, it's nice to see a 14mm pump running well. It seems that you're pushing that 14mm pump harder and with higher rpms than anyone lol

What kind of rpms are you pushing on any given pull?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck looks great! I wish I had the time to get back to working on mine. I have done nothing other then normal maintenance to mine in over three years.

With modification to the valve body you can have the trans lock up in any gear you want it to. My first gen locks up in 2nd when I hit my floor mounted dimmer switch and my 98 12v locks up in first also with a floor mounted dimmer switch. I wish I cold tell you how to do but Goerend built both trans.

As am sure you already know just be careful shifting with it locked if you don't have Billet shafts.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM

2.6 class will allow up to a 66mm inducer so I'm running a 2.6 turbo. I have thought about going with a S466 with a t4 foot and steed speed manifold. I will pobably end up going with a manning motorsports camshaft and spring setup along with pushrods. I'm not gonna do anything with the head until the head gasket goes then i plan on yanking the whole engine out and starting from scratch. I don't have a problem spooling this 66 but I do know a cam will help it breathe, I am still thinking it needs more air but I want a charger that I can stay on top of and yet still do drags with as well as daily drive so its tough to say, I might end up going with twins down the road if I don't end up with another truck for a daily driver soon.

It'll spin anywhere from 3500 to 4000 rpms down the track depending on the track and how well its hooking up. I think I can get some more R's out of it with a little more tinkering but haven't dared quite yet

As far as the lockup, right now it will only lockup in drive which is what I pull in in 4 low. I flip my lockup switch maybe 50 ft or so out of the hole once I have my rpms up and decent speed, but it doesn't lockup as you can tell except for the one pull at the end when I had really good speed. I think its just too high of rpms and load for it to lockup and hold for the way its setup right now. After talking with my trans builder we are thinking of putting the 518 governor in it as i mentioned and I think I have him talked into modding the valve body to lock up in 2nd gear manual. He says he doesn't like to do it because it usually breaks stuff. My reverse band broke about a month ago and so i pulled the pan and tightened it up for now to see what it'd do, i at least have reverse again but it will slip sometimes. So the trans needs to come out anyway for that, I'll probably pull it in the next month or so and have some stuff changed.

Yeah I don't do lock shifts unless I'm racing. I have a billet flexplate, converter and billet input though so I don't worry quite as much.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah Ok.

For that sized charger. I would run a hamilton 188/220. What hamilton cams has done with their cams I really don't think anyone else even comes particularly close. Maybe you have some sort of affiliation with the folks who you mentioned and that's as good a reason as any to use them but if you're open to options, hamilton is a good one.

When/if it comes time to get a head, go with c-tech. Their port and polish is done on a cnc and you won't find a more balanced job from port to port. Amd they get some really great flow numbers with the proper flow bore plate or whatever it's called. Their numbers aren't inflated by using the wrong plate. They are also about as good a price as anyone out there.

They have my head right now. I'm getting hamilton #165 springs/retainers/keepers, port and polish, larger intake and exhaust valves, orings, and getting the head cut for the top hat style valve seals. Comes to $2200 or so plus shipping. Not bad for a loaded head that will flow around 200cfm. They're supposed to be sending me a flow chart sometime. I'm hoping in the next couple weeks. I will be making a thread on the build when everything gets to me and I start putting it together.

Being a Canadian I'd like to go Canadian and go with Pdr, but they just aren't the best anymore in my estimation, and I want the best. And they also aren't as cheap either.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII via tapatalk 2
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Nice to see that sweet 1st gen pulling that sled.

Anyone know this guy ? http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6829...ting-the-dirt/ or what he's running in his ride ?

Another amazing 1st gen. Thanks for sharing those videos with us.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM

sweet truck man. that was cool to see!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM

wow,ive been buried in farm work and missing some fun! great work austin, you have one of the top ve trucks in the country i think. did you find some work in the diesel field?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 AM

Yeah Terry you oughta come to the Tremonten pulls on the 27th, always a big show! I sure did, ended up takin the small business generator technician job in Bountiful workin on standby generators big and small. Its really been an awesome job so far.

I found a S466 turbo I might try and get a hold of and see what it'll do to fulfill my curiosity
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM

very good, stop in sometime.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Heres the dirt drag race finally uploaded, beat the p pumper
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I'll say it again...

Your truck ROCKS !

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool...I love to see an ol country boy doin his own funding and work and still putting it to the sponsored big dollar trucks, and the fact it's a VE pumped 1st gen makes it even sweeter.

wish I was close enough to see it do it's thang.