1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wheel Wobble???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Wobble???????

Really lost on this one and not sure what to do. The truck had a small vibration to it plus it was needing tires. I replaced all 6 tires and since then it has got worse. I've had the tires balanced 3 times and it has not been any help. The other evening I put the rear of the truck up on jack stands and started it up put it in gear and ran it up to around 60 mph and I could feel the truck shaking. When I looked at the tires I could see the the wheels wobbling side to side. Both of the driverside tires wobble side to side, the passenger side tires only the outside tire is wobbling. The Inside tire is running true and straight. It looks like the rims are bent. Could it be the rims are bent or is there a certain way these rims should be mounted on the ruck that I'm over looking. The rearend has a line up pin on both sides. The only other thing I saw was that each rim has four raised lug holes both on the front & rear side. My though was maybe where the raised lug holes goes against the drum that they are not flushing up all of the way. The rims are stock steel rims. I did check the axle and the axle is ok. No problems there.
Any help or suggestions/tips are very much welcome! ???
Old 07-24-2003, 11:54 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Re:Wheel Wobble???????

Are the chamfers/indentations still in good shape? They could have been damaged if the wheels were mounted wrong, then driven for a while. If they are damaged and binding, you could probably file or hammer them a bit until the wheels fit tight again. Just don't remove them.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:33 PM

I'm going to have them checked tomorrow. I took one of the wheel off and took it to town today to have it checked, and it checked out just fine. So it's got to be in the way they are mounted. I'm hoping to get it straight in the morning.....Thanks for the advise!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the back tires, there is a little nipple on the drum. If you look at the rim, you will see a hole for this nipple. You have to get these lined up or you will have tire wobble. Something you might want to check out.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:26 AM

It put up a good fight, but I beat it. I had to rotate two tires on the rim to get them to balance out right. Then when we mounted the tires &amp; wheels back on the truck, we use 4 smaller lug nuts to align the wheels first. Then we put 4 of the regular lug nuts on and tighten them down. Then removed the smaller lug nuts &amp; installed the rest of the regular lug nuts. Now it drives a lot better. <br>All I need to do now is contact the County &amp; State road depts. and have them to get the rest of the bumps out of the roads and that should take care of it..... ;D<br>Thanks for all of the advise. The trucks rides alot better now!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 PM

I've had a servere shudder problem (70 mph and up) w/ mine since I bought it. :'(
Have tried the lug nut trick Ga was refering to. :
Put 3 out of 4 new factory wheels on(rear). :P
I've had 3 new sets of tires on, Does anyone know how to check the axles ? Put an dial indicator on the hub (wheels off condition) to check for runout?
I put it up on jack stands last night and ran it up three out of 4 wheels have runout or (wobble condition) :'( One on the inside didn't run out to bad.

ramguy
Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 PM

ramguy,
Here where I live a Goodyear tire store has a new type of balance machine. It's the first time I ever seen one like it. It balance the tires, checks each tire for smooth ride, and check the rims, ect. 2 of my tires rated one at 6 the other at 7. Which is very good so they put them two on the front. The lowere the number the better ride the tire will give you. Then there were two others tires that rated one at 11 the other at 14. Which is passing. I had two other tires that did not pass. The machine failed them. One was rated at 45 the other at 47. Not good at all. But what the machine did then was, it tell them where to put a mark at on the tire and a mark on the rim. Then they had to break the tire down and turn the tire on the rim till the two marks lined up. Once they did that they put the tire back on the balance machine. This time the tires where rated one at 17 the other at 19. There are only 3 of these balance machines in the town I live in. I've got to admit it works. They then re-maounted using the smaller lug nuts and the truck ride a whole lot better now. I don't remamber the name of the balance machine. But if I get a chance I'll find out and let you know.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:04 PM

GaCamper;
My neighbor use to own a 93 and told me about the lug nut trick I carry them in the glovebox. That will help with axial runout but I've got a whobble like a bent rim. :'(
Anyway thank you for the info I'll try to find a shop with that type balencer.

ramguy :
Old 08-02-2003, 08:37 AM

ramguy.
I went by the Good Year Shop and got the name of the balance machine they are using. It's called:
Hunter
GSP 9700
W/Wheel Force Measurement

I had my truck tires balance 3 times before I found this machine. One place told me that my left front wheel was bent. But after having my tires balanced on the GSP 9700, it turns out that there were not any wheels bent. Good luck on getting your tires straighten out!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:53 PM

Ga Camper;
Thanks for the info I'll look into this, sounds like a smart ballencer.
I've checked w/ a few different tire shops here in town &quot;Wichita,Ks&quot;. and it sounds to me like Dodge got away from the coined wheels in 94 and up. One said he'd found out if you do away with the dowel pin sticking out of the hub we can run the newer noncoined rims with newer lug nuts. I had a 83 chubby drw and never had this problem. It was also the noncoined wheels. I'm considering buying wheels, yes it's an older truck but body still looks great. Considering the license plate on a 03 would cost $655.00/ yr. wheels are cheap. ;D A set of ALCO's with new nuts &amp; caps $738 +tax.

ramguy :