1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Order of work for pump bump

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order of work for pump bump

I have the info from Gino's site

"st Generation Ram Diesel Power Increase1989 through 1993 Models with the Bosch VE injector pump"

Does it make any difference in what order I proceed to turning up the pump?

Old 08-04-2003, 05:13 PM

Re:Order of work for pump bump

I took the full power adjustment screw out of the pump. Mine is a crimped on collar. Should I cut the thing off or do I need to put it back on later?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Go ahead and cut off the collar, just make sure you know where it was. If you turn that screw in too far, the governor will run away and you'll blow the engine if you don't get the air supply shut off right away. First time you start it after putting the screw back, pull the inlet duct off the turbo and have a small piece of plywood or sheet metal to block the turbo with if it runs away. Have somebody else start the truck while you stand by with the plywood or sheet metal. If the truck is slow to return to idle when revved, you're on the edge of too far, back off until it drops back to idle quickly.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:47 PM

Oooooooooops.

Oh well it ran well :P

I counted the turns I made on the power adj when I took it out. I then cut the collar off and put it back in what I thought was the same amount of turns. She idled at 1000rpm which is 350 more than it did. I took er out for a spin. Well the power is much better but the egt's go up pretty fast for sure. The boost started a little earlier and I got a couple of pounds more but the egt's made me get out of it. I got home and backed it off one turn. That brought the idle back to 750. The idle egt's were up about 100*. When I backed it back she went back to normal. I guess I was off a turn.

Ok here is the question. When I thought 18 turns from all the way out was where it was set I could only turn in the adjustment about 1 1/2 turns. Now come to think about it that meant I could turn it in 2 1/2 turns since I was in one to many anyway. Does that sound about right? From stock
2 1/2 turns is the limit?

Now will the adjustments on the pump help bring my egt's down? As of now I am back to what I think is my stock setting on the power adjustment.

Tomorrow I would like to get this set up right. How should I start with the power adj or the pump itself?

Oh she did smoke a bit.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Adding fuel is always going to make the EGT go up. The limit to how far you can turn the screw in is the point at which it doesn't want to drop back to idle quickly. At that point you're on the edge of runaway. As you turn the power screw in, you will need to use the low idle screw to bring the idle speed back down.

I'd set the AFC pin for full fuel, play with the main screw, then use the star wheel and smoke screw to set the throttle response and smoke. With the 21 cm housing you are going to be pretty limited in how far you can turn the pump up, because it's just too big to make good boost. The EGT's are going to be high because there's just not enough air.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:16 PM

Well I guess that means a 16cm housing. I really don't think the extra power is going to be able to use under load. I think the egt's will rise to fast to use the power. What do you think? Where should I get this houseing and is there a special one that works best?
Old 08-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Just about everybody who sells diesel performance stuff sells them, just look around and check prices. AFAIK, a 16 cm housing is a 16 cm housing no matter who you buy it from. The added boost will bring your EGT down, and you will be able to tow with extra power.