1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What a night.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry

good thing you weren't in the truck...that would have been scary!

I'm due a pair of Reunel HD bumpers for my truck...anybody who hits them will be in a world of hurt - wouldn't protect me from a side swipe tho
Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Aftermarket heavy bumpers are great but they tend to bend or tweak the frame of your truck in some cases where the OEM one would simply bend. Aftermarket bumpers have their purpose for sure and more mass is definitely good in a crash but still something to consider. Not that anyone ever plans on running into things or getting hit...
Old 12-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Jim, I cried when I saw the pictures. I know how much effort you put into keeping that truck the way you want it and to have someone tear it up because he "wanted to see how close he could get" has to be almost more than you can stand.

I'm sorry the other driver wasn't hurt.
Thanks Faith,
I was inside my parents house about 200 feet away and I heard the crash and then an alarm go off, it that neighborhood car alarms are always going off but for some reason I just knew it was mine, I was dropping tools all the way out of the house out the door not knowing what I was going to find.

A few years ago my brother in laws truck a new chevy crew cab dually was hit on the opposite side of the street and was totaled, he hit it so hard that it ripped the rear end out of the truck and put the truck on the neighbors lawn.

He got out of what was left of his car and tried to run away but he was so drunk he couldn't even stand up.

The neighbors sat on him until the sheriff got there.

When the sheriff got there and tried to do a field sobriety he ask if he could lie down and do it.

He was a illegal and of course he did not have a license or insurance.

Jim
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Aftermarket heavy bumpers are great but they tend to bend or tweak the frame of your truck in some cases where the OEM one would simply bend. Aftermarket bumpers have their purpose for sure and more mass is definitely good in a crash but still something to consider. Not that anyone ever plans on running into things or getting hit...
Back in 1967 I had a 65 Mustang with an excessive amount of horsepower and wheel hop for ballast I made a rear bumper out of 2 piece of railroad track, a 5 foot section had to weigh 250 pounds, this added the traction I needed and protection when I got rear ended.

I want to get some of the long pointy lug nut covers some of the semi's have for the front wheels to keep people from getting to close to my truck.

Bet I could have a set machined to fit my truck.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Aftermarket heavy bumpers are great but they tend to bend or tweak the frame of your truck in some cases where the OEM one would simply bend
NOW ya tell me

oh well, they'll still scare the pee out of civilians who dare cross my path
Attached Thumbnails What a night.-hummer-h2-crash.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think even a heavy bumper would have helped that. WOW
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SORTIE
NOW ya tell me

oh well, they'll still scare the pee out of civilians who dare cross my path

Wow what happened?
Was that one of those Hummer/ Tahoe thingys? looks like it was a crumple zone.

I think a real HMMWV would have done a bit better.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
wow, what happened?
Hummer H2 (built on Tahoe frame) gets quartered by dually

you can see that the H2 is primarily made of PLASTIQUE

I'll take my chances with HD bumpers bolted to 3 tons of OLD SCHOOL
Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Still working with the body shop and waiting for his insurance company but checking it more closely I found when the mirror hit my spot light it also bent the shaft so that will also have to be replaced.

Where the truck hit my tire it cut the sidewall and also took a piece out of the edge of the rim.

When he was checking the fender he said there might be a crease in the sheet metal above the wheel well.

So far the damaged parts are:
A) Rear fender with hardware underneath for the lights,
B) Electric Mirror,
C) 6" Unity spotlight with Collins Dynamic head,
D) Rim,
E) Michelin tire,
F) They are going to check the axle, springs,
G) Check frame,

These will have a 5 year warranty in case there is a problem.

I ask him if they were going to just match the new fender to the existing body and he said heck no, we will repaint the entire side of the truck.

I let you know more as it happens.

I feel like people are looking at me when I am driving around in my broken truck, it feels dirty.

Jim
Any new information?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Administrator

The claim has been filed and right now we are locating all of the parts that are going to be replaced.

Then we will chose a time when I will bring in my truck for the repairs but since all of the holidays fell smack in the middle of it we are going to hold off until the beginning of the year.

So far the damaged parts are:
A) Rear fender with hardware underneath for the lights,
B) Electric Mirror,
C) 6" Unity spotlight with Collins Dynamic head,
D) Rim,
E) Michelin tire,
F) They are going to check the axle, springs,
G) Check frame,

Once the repairs get under way I will have a full size rental truck of my choice with unlimited miles for as long as the repairs take to complete even if for some unseen problems arise and it takes well over a month.
Repairs so far are at $2000.00

Jim
Old 12-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Jim, think twice before you build that brake light strobe circuit. I recall reading about the effect that flashing police lights have on drunks and as I recall, it seems to make them focus on the blinking light and then drive right into the back of it. Don't want to turn your truck into drunk bait unnecessarily.

You are correct! When I was in the academy, I learned that the strobes actually attract the eye, and subconsciously, people drift right into them (especially when drivers are under the influence!) New York just past a new law starting 1-1-11 called “The Scott Law”. This law states that if a vehicle is on the shoulder, you must move into the opposite lane. If you cannot move into the other lane, you must slow down significantly. It is a $250 ticket if you do not comply. Scott was a NY State Trooper that was killed during a routine traffic stop on an interstate. There are only two states in the US that do not have this law now. Hawaii is one of them; the other escapes my brain right now. I think it is out in the mid west.

I am here to tell you that 95% of the “accidents” I respond to are not ACCIDENTS” at all! They are just examples of human stupidity! Sorry to get off the topic, but this is important to me.